First show experience

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
I would like to share my first show experience, as requested by Random Rabbit, for all those contemplating the leap into show rabbits. The show I attended was a one day event, with 2 shows held, Show A and Show B. It was held by the Kern County Rabbit Breeders Association (KCRBA), which is a local club.

1. Plan to arrive early and stay late.

Sign ins were from 7:30 to 8:30, "with the show starting promptly at 8:30". I got up at 5:00, planning to leave by 6:00 or 6:30 at the latest, as it was a good hour's drive to the fairgrounds. We didn't leave until 7:00. :oops: (Typical- never on time!) So on the drive there I agonized over whether to stop and get a frappucino for me and breakfast for the kids, or let 'em starve and hope there were food vendors at the show. Good parenting won out.

We got there at ten past eight, loaded the bunnies onto my cart, and proceeded to the barn to sign in. The line snaked through the barn, almost coming out the doors. Numerous people commented that they had never seen it "like that" before. I became fast friends with the gentleman in line behind me, and now know the life story of the woman and her daughter that were in front of me. Once signed in, we proceeded to the judging area.

2. Find the table(s) where your breed will be judged.

You will see long tables set up with small slant-fronted cages to hold the rabbits awaiting judging. There was a list posted on each table with the name of the judge, and the breeds listed below that in the order they would be seen. No time frames were given, unlike at a dog show, but after each breed the number of entrants was listed.

3. Stake a claim for an area to keep your rabbits and yourself comfortable while you wait.

I was lucky in that the two families involved in rabbits with our local 4-H had already arrived and saved enough room for us as well. Bring chairs for yourself or be prepared to sit on the ground. A grooming table would be ideal, but you can also put a carpet square on top of your cages to groom your rabbits before their turn with the judge.

4. Bring snacks and entertainment for yourself and family- not just the rabbits!

We brought hay, sunflower stalks, and horse cookies for the rabbits, but nothing for us. They did have a snack bar, but it ran out of food early, and served foods that don't appeal to us. We opted for muffins since everything else (aside from chips and candy) had to be microwaved and we don't heat our food that way. Their prices were very fair, though. I ended up going off site to buy lunch when I had a break in my schedule.

Also bring something to keep you entertained while you wait- the kids brought books and read all day, while I wandered around talking to people and spending money. And more money. And more money. :shock:

5. Observe the judging of breeds that come before you.

The show "started promptly" a little after 10:00 a.m. The breeds were called to the table, and their entry cards were placed before the coops on the judge's side. The rabbits were placed in the coops by their owners.

The judge then starts with the Senior Bucks of each variety (if applicable). He (or she) reaches into the cage, slides his hand under the rabbit, whips it out of the cage, quickly positions it, runs his hands over its body, then grabs its ears and rump and flips it upside down to check sex, feet and nails, checks the bite, flips it right side up again, and pops it back into the cage. This takes about 3 seconds. (Be prepared to reel in horror, thinking "OMG! I don't handle my bunnies that way- my rabbits are going to absolutely flip out!")

After doing this to each rabbit in that category, they pull them out for further examination, taking their time to evaluate them... a good 8-10 seconds at least, before popping them back into their hole or playing rabbit roulette if empty cages are available.

Then the clerk steps up to the plate, with pen and entry ticket in hand. The ticket lists the different qualities to be judged, such as head, ears, hindquarters, loin, width and length of body, fur quality and density, etc., etc., etc. A very comprehensive list indeed. The judge takes the rabbit out again, and rapid fire goes through the good and bad aspects of the animal, while the clerk struggles to scribble away at the card. (Note to self- learn shorthand or buy a tape recorder.) The card is then placed face down in front of that animal's cage. They go down the line, ending with the best animal of each variety, age class, and sex. The ticket of the winning animal is placed on top of its hole, pending removal of the others in its class. They then compare the winning Sr. and Jr. buck of each variety, and hold back the winner until the same happens with Jr. and Sr. does. They then compare those animals (one buck and one doe), and the winner is marked as BOV (Best of Variety) or BOSV (Best opposite sex of variety). Then all the BOV's and BOSV's compete, narrowing it down to the best buck and doe of the entire group, which are marked as BOB (Best of Breed) and BOSB (Best Opposite Sex of Breed). The BOB will later be judged against the BOB's of every other breed to determine BIS (Best in Show).

You will now be prepared (Hah!) when you bring your own rabbits to the judging table. You will also realize the absolute futility of trying to take photographs unless you have a camera with lightning fast shutter speed. Photographing your rabbits could be construed as indicating ownership, and is frowned upon in any case, although I saw many people do so.

6. Bring fistfuls of cash, and credit cards with high spending limits.

Not only will there be vendors selling cages and supplies, exhibitors will have rabbits and used equipment to sell. I bought 2 metal nests, a dozen water bottles with valves my rabbits are used to, and a nifty grooming rack that hangs from the cage wire, so can be moved along your cages for ease of grooming. I then found 5 more used nests (one large nest that is missing the bottom panel) for $20 from an exhibitor. I also bought 2 Angora wool "hair scrunchies" from Betty Chu :p , one for Queenpup and another for my "sister" who has an Angora rabbit. Later, I revisited the cage vendor and bought 2 4 hole transport cages and a tattoo pen, and bought the ARBA SOP from another vendor.

7. Monitor the progress of judging at your table.

In between bouts of spending your husband's money and cooing over cute rabbits, stroll by your table so you will know when to start preparing yourself and your rabbits for your turn.

8. Groom your rabbits.

This was simple for me, since I have Rex. I simply misted them down with a water/vinegar mix and rubbed them vigorously until dry, with a final backwards sweep to make the fur stand on end.

9. Transport your herd to the judging area.

Bring the entire herd with you, unless there are a zillion rabbits entered in the breed, in which case I believe they break it down by variety and/or sex. Place your rabbit in the cage that has its corresponding ticket. I noticed droppings stuck to the wire in a couple of cages and asked that my rabbits not be placed in those since there were clean cages available, and got "a look" but the judge complied.

Await with great trepidation the judging of your rabbits, since during your earlier observation the judge muttered "I just love judging rabbits that haven't been handled." Gloat with pride and pleasure when your rabbits do not bite or kick the judge. Try to remember his comments on your stock, since the poor clerk will be lucky to mark 2 or 3 boxes on the comment card.

Glow with pleasure when your rabbits beat the other exhibitor's two entries hands down, winning in all categories. :p

10. If you have a rare breed for your area, sign your entire family up for ARBA and bring enough of your own rabbits so you can win a "leg".

Even with no DQ's the judge can withhold placement in a class, so you will not gain a leg if your animals do not merit it.

11. Volunteer to "clerk" a breed.

You can learn a lot if you volunteer to fill out the comment cards. The most important information to list is the rabbit's placing in the group. If you can mark any boxes grading their qualities in the numerous categories, it is considered a bonus- but there is no way you will be able to do a thorough job of it, especially your first time clerking. There is also a sheet that is turned in to the show secretary that lists group placements that must be filled out as well.

It was interesting to note the difference of opinion between the judges, and I am glad to have my cards to compare placements. Firstpup's buck Captain was entered as an opal, but looking at him I realized he doesn't have the eye ring or chin and belly color, and mentioned this to judge A since I was leaning toward lilac for his color. He was DQ'ed by him as a "tweener" (between colors but his assessment was between opal and blue), but judge B passed him as opal (I didn't mention my color concerns with him though), and had some favorable comments on him in other aspects from both judges.

We had a great day, but it was a very long one. I explained to Colliepup that these small shows are put on by volunteers, so tend to run late due to inexperience or lack of staff. Since my Junior Broken Black buck took BOB in both shows, we stayed until the very end, which was around 7:30.

I met a lot of nice people, and spent quite a long time visiting with the mother of the President of the National Palomino Club. Her husband breeds Satins, and had 4 to exhibit- he said they are all but "extinct" in CA. The man I befriended in line that morning took BOB with his Holland Lop in both shows, so we shared the glory of seeing our boys competing for BIS. Not that we won of course- Betty Chu took reserve in A (I forget who got BIS) and she got BIS in B.

There were mostly Polish, Mini Rex, HLs, MLs, Fuzzy Lops, (but not one Loop!), and about a dozen Thriantas, some Pals, 4 satins, 3 mini satins, and some NZ's and Cals. All of the rabbits looked like their fur was too long to me since I have Rex, and I wasn't "taken" with any of them, so my Rabbitosis must be at a low ebb... or I am just plain spoiled by the "King of Rabbits"! :D I believe I'll just stick with them for a while, along with my Astrex line.

I think that about covers my experience, and I definitely have the show bug. I am going to be sure to sign Hubs and the "pups" up for ARBA so I have some local competition, even if it is all in the family. We are looking forward to the March 31st show, and I am going to leave some does open so they can attend. The girl who had the other 2 Rex wants one of my bucks and a doe, so I'll be bringing stock for sale along as well.

I may donate a buck to the raffle at the show- the Palomino Club President did that when she started showing Pals, with the promise that if the winner of the buck showed it 3 times and provided proof, she would give them a doe as well. She grew the competition in the area in that way, and I would like to do the same.

In conclusion, I would encourage anyone to try their hand at showing rabbits, and not be afraid to jump right in without attending a show as a spectator. I would hesitate to bring more than one or two breeds the first time though, because the stress of having multiple breeds that may end up on the table at or near the same time would be a bit much. There really isn't much to it, and it is a lot of fun!

*Edited to add #11, plus a bit of refinement to overall text. :)

Thank you for the great information. We have thought about showing some of ours, but we don't have the time or knowledge right now to do that. We will definitely looking into it down the road.

MamaSheepdog":yluy2x3a said:
Since my Junior Broken Black buck took BOB in both shows, we stayed until the very end, which was around 7:30.

I may donate a buck to the raffle at the show- the Palomino Club President did that when she started showing Pals, and if the winner would show the buck 3 times and provide proof, she would give them a doe as well. She grew the competition in the area in that way, and I would like to do the same.

and it is a lot of fun!

CONGRATULATIONS on TWO BOBs !!! What a way to start off !!! That is great.

I like that idea of donating a buck to try and bring up the intereat level in the breed. We have not a lot of competition in the Pals here ...maybe that would help.

Yes !! showing is a lot of Fun. So glad You enjoyed it !!!

And the Promptness of a show starting on time...rarely...lol.

Cattle Cait":1xs5pflc said:
California shows sound much more organized then Michigan's.

Er... not really. I ended up clerking my second class because of lack of help, and clerked the class of 5 Hotots after that. I would have done the first class as well, but the 4-H rabbit leader told me I couldn't since mine were being exhibited.

And I signed up for fur in both shows, and they didn't have the paperwork ready- I got a refund on show A, but not show B. I am going to see if they will just apply that money to membership in the club.

This is typical of events held with volunteers- we see it here when raising money for the local schools. We help out with the fundraisers despite the fact our kids are homeschooled, and it can be very chaotic. I commend any who make the effort, because there are so few that will become involved.

As tired as we were, I can only imagine how they felt! I am grateful that they care enough to host a show. :)
Random Rabbit":1xs5pflc said:
CONGRATULATIONS on TWO BOBs !!!

I like that idea of donating a buck to try and bring up the interest level in the breed. We have not a lot of competition in the Pals here ...maybe that would help.

And the Promptness of a show starting on time...rarely...lol.

Thanks! Not too much of an accomplishment, since they were almost all mine, but I am happy to have bred a buck that beat his sire.

Shows that start late will fit right in with my schedule!

sammysue63":1xs5pflc said:
we don't have the time or knowledge right now to do that.
Sammysue, don't be afraid to give it a try for lack of knowledge- a show is a great place to learn! Time, on the other hand... :?

Bill":1xs5pflc said:
Congratulations and we're sorry, you're hooked! :lol:

Absolutely! Plus, my Rabbitosis was in full swing, but limited to the "supply acquisition" mode! :D

What a great write up! I'd love to try showing, but given the long days it's just not in the cards to do between milkings. Still, it's fun to read about others' experiences. And congrats on your buns doing well! :)

Thanks, Kota. You'll have plenty of time when your little "pups" are bigger and maybe even able to help!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I really got a sense of what it was like.:). You are a good writer. I want to try one this Spring. I hear there are some shows in Richmond, va. Now that I have some rabbits that are recognized by ARBA I would like to try. My blue silver fox are COD, but now I have two black ones. The buck is growing into a real looker too.

currituckbun":num08ccz said:
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I really got a sense of what it was like.:). You are a good writer.

Aww, shucks! :oops: Thanks, currituck! I've always enjoyed writing! :) I didn't have time for revisions to what I'd written, so I am glad it came through clearly.

currituckbun":num08ccz said:
Now that I have some rabbits that are recognized by ARBA I would like to try. My blue silver fox are COD, but now I have two black ones. The buck is growing into a real looker too.

How exciting for you! I am sure you will have fun. I'm sure it is exciting to work on the development of a breed too, and you are lucky to be involved in it.

Congratulations Sis! Sounds like a great first experience...I am going to go to one in Crosby at the end of February and probably bring my Rex buck, and a Cali doe. I will let you all know what happens.

Thanks, Sis!

I look forward to hearing about your first show, too! I have another March 31st so maybe you'll discover something new to add.

Why are you going to limit yourself to only one Cal entry? Our entry fees were $3.50 for one show, $6.00 for both. I thought that was a bargain for the professional assessment of my bun-rabs.

Congratulations on your success and am so glad you enjoyed your show experience, I just love it, all those lovely bunnies, friendly bunny people and just a lot of fun.<br /><br />__________ 31 Jan 2012, 11:04 __________<br /><br />I am off to our first show of the year on Saturday - its a 'twilight show' starting at 5pm (due to summer weather), I am very excited, it will be my Satin's first show.

How exciting! A twilight show sounds really neat- I wonder if they have those in the hotter parts of the US?

Good luck to your Satin!

MamaSheepdog":3tefoj0y said:
How exciting! A twilight show sounds really neat- I wonder if they have those in the hotter parts of the US?

Good luck to your Satin!

-Bounces off topic- How hot does it get there? We have terrible humidity here in the summer and it is almost unbearable. I couldn't imagine living somewhere hotter!
Oh how I love winter...

I had to laugh, MSD...we don't microwave our food either. Sometimes people think that is the oddest thing. It's been a few years and I don't even miss it now.

Jana15":3lkbvfcg said:
MamaSheepdog":3lkbvfcg said:

Good luck to your Satin!

-Bounces off topic- How hot does it get there? We have terrible humidity here in the summer and it is almost unbearable. I couldn't imagine living somewhere hotter!
Oh how I love winter...

I assume you were asking Bramble? She mentioned a while back that it was 117 degrees I think. But I believe Australia is pretty arid. Then again, it's a big continent...

If you were asking me, it gets to about 107, but it's a dry heat. Still hot, but nothing compared to heat and humidity.

sommrluv":3lkbvfcg said:
we don't microwave our food either. I don't even miss it now.

It's been years for us too. We still have the microwave, but I want to replace it with a rotisserie oven. The pups could have eaten the food if they'd wanted to, but they don't trust the things either.

MSD, sounds like the show superintendent at the show you attended really has his or her stuff together.

Shows I've attended over the course of the past year simply do not. One show in particular really got on my bad side last spring. It was such that I'll waste neither my time nor my money going back to a showroom where that club is putting on a show.

MamaSheepdog":zlxitp0r said:
Thanks, Sis!

I look forward to hearing about your first show, too! I have another March 31st so maybe you'll discover something new to add.

Why are you going to limit yourself to only one Cal entry? Our entry fees were $3.50 for one show, $6.00 for both. I thought that was a bargain for the professional assessment of my bun-rabs.

Because the rest of them have or will have tiny kits to care for at that time... :mrgreen:

OneAcreFarm":3nwbo8uh said:
Because the rest of them have or will have tiny kits to care for at that time... :mrgreen:

Ahhh, yesss... but of course. I had the same issue- show? There's a local show? But, but... all my does that can be bred are bred! That only leaves two... plus all these bucks awaiting sale or camp.

This time I have advance warning for the March 31st show, so I will leave some girls open.

Latest posts

Back