Moving babies indoors during cold

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So, my doe may or may not be pregnant but I wanna make sure I'm not gonna mess something up if she is. Is it ok to move babies in during cold weather and then bring them back out just for feeding?

:yeahthat:
If your having trouble keeping track of your posts there are some buttons under the "chat box" and one says "view your posts" which lets you see what threads youve been posting on :).

I think, you just wanted to read a few more opinions about it. See if anyone had anything more to say for or against the practice, right?

I did the same thing when I was contemplating taking the kits for the first time.
I like reading as many different opinions as I can, and usually want to know everything that could go wrong, or if someone had a bad experience trying it.

Keeping the kits separate is pretty much the opposite of how we raise other baby animals, and our own.
I think, human females generally prefer a lot of contact with their babies, and separation can cause us a lot of anxiety.

Rabbits on the other hand seem to feel LESS anxiety when their nest isn't in sight. Probably because their instinct tells them to stay away from it.

In a year of being active on here, I haven't yet read a post written by someone who pulled the nest and had the doe reject the kits afterwards.

If a doe is full of milk, she will nurse just to take the pressure off. I have one right now who won't cover the babies to keep them warm. In my opinion, that is the same as rejecting them, since they would be dead if I hadn't intervened. She still feeds them when I return them to nurse, because teats full of milk HURT.

So, I can save kits despite the mother failing. That works for me, but I won't be breeding that particular doe again, or breeding anything out of her. The last thing I want is to breed rabbits that are unable to raise their own young.

You know, if your doe is a good momma, you probably will not have to do anything at all. She will likely pull enough fur to keep them warm in any weather.

you could cut up a rag and if she has kits put them on and under the kits along with the fur to help them be warm. I've done this in my early litters like in January or February, that way they are for sure warm and cozy.

Homer":abc13xk6 said:
There is an all natural product called "Litter Saver" that is used when your Doe does not pull enough fur. It is available from http://www.kammalop.com/cat.pdf page 18, part number; LSV $4.85 pkg. There are also warmers on the same page.

Oh my gosh!!! thanks so much!! I got some since I have a mini rex going to kindle soon and I was just going to put rags in there or bring here in!

Homer":1cvicds7 said:
Not sure where you're at but we're getting rain off and on in Pueblo. You?

I'm in Fort Garland and getting snowed on like nuts! we've got about 1ft of snow and it's still going strong so I'm sure we'd get about 2-3ft by the time it's over! it's not really cold just really snowing, rabbits seem to like the stuff.

your in Pueblo? wow, your a lot closer that I thought!

You can keep the white stuff. :roll: Yes I'm in Pueblo and PSFAngoras is over in the Canon City area.

Guess I better get off here and go clean hutches.
waving_smiley.gif

lol! I'm sure your're going to be getting when it's done here! :D

good luck with those bunneh cages!

Silver Cloud":y3344iii said:
Zass kind of answered this in your other thread. Hope it helps :)

post247800.html?hilit=bring%20in%20babies#p247800

I totally forgot about that post just to be honest with you... Have had so much happening... My mistake <br /><br /> -- Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:09 pm -- <br /><br /> Its like Zass said honestly I just wanted more opinions she pulls a bunch of fur and I put a bunch of hay back there but I figured better safe than sorry post another forum about it... I know how to find my own blogs Im not stupid I have this site figured out for the most part. I just don't want anything to go wrong

Back