What is best to disinfect a pasteurella rabbits cage?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
So today I culled three of my rabbits for suspected pasteurella and I need to disinfect their cages.

Will Hydrogen peroxide do the job?

The cages are not in touching distance to their neighbors but are close enough for me not to want to use bleach, either neat or diluted.

and then I'd pop them outside for some natural sunlight or snowfall disinfecting.
i'd leave them outside for at least three weeks.

Hot water and dry in the sun. Pasturella lives longer on the soil/poop and carcasses and then its about a week or so. Once you clean with soap and water and let dry its gone.

If you use vinegar or diluted bleach, let it sit on the the cage for 20 minutes before rinsing. Don't forget the walls behind the cages and the food bowls, hay rack, water containers and anything else the rabbits have had contact with.

I use 3 parts bleach to one part water in a spray bottle whenever I'm cleaning cages/equipment. Spray them until they are soaked, let it sit for awhile and then hose off.

Dilute bleach, rinse, let it sit in the sun for a few days. UV is an excellent disinfectant. Don't for get bowls, feeders, water bottles, auto water nipples, etc.

I took the cage that would move out into the sun and took the roof off the other cage so the sun gets right into it and washed down the area and both cages with vinegar (I had no idea that dried on rabbit pee would foam up when vinegar gets poured onto it) and hydrogen peroxide as I had both readily to hand.

So can I be happy that any remaining Pasteurella germs will be gone in the soil and manure pile inside of a fortnight?

The only remaining rabbit that might have been infected now lives with the chickens and is due for freezer camp this week. He is showing no signs but better safe than sorry.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:01 pm __________<br /><br />I shall let both cages sit idle in the sun (and even with the unseasonal rain we are having, there is LOTS of sunshine down here in Florida to cleanse the cages) for a couple of weeks before using them again.

Thank you all for your suggestions, they really helped :cool:

I know this is an old thread, but is it really necessary to wait several weeks before putting new buns in the cages and using food bowls and such once they've been disinfected?

Kitty102":33eizjus said:
I know this is an old thread, but is it really necessary to wait several weeks before putting new buns in the cages and using food bowls and such once they've been disinfected?

No, just a couple days in the sun after bleaching/rinsing is good. UV is an excellent disinfectant!

P.multocida is a fragile organism, which does not survive long outside a host (<24 hours in transport media at room temperature). Due to its fragility in the environment, stringent environmental decontamination is not necessary. Regular cleaning and the use of a high-level disinfectant should suffice to rid the environment of P. multicoda.

http://www.criver.com/SiteCollectionDoc ... tocida.pdf

I use vinegar, or a bleach solution, or betadine and water, or all of the above. Vinegar will degrade the galvanization and bleach dries to a salt which will rust the cages, so rinse thoroughly.

I have isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) in a spray bottle that I occasionally mist the cages down with.

Latest posts

Back