Youngest age to breed a doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle@theWintertime

Reaction score
So I have a doe. She's eleven weeks old. Normally I'm ultra-patient and just wait until a doe is like, six months or more before even attempting a breeding. However, I need kits sooner than later, so...I want to breed this doe at the earliest age possible that won't cause her actual harm.

Thoughts?

Youngest I bred a doe was 16 weeks, I think? Nursed 5 kits, rebred a week or so later for a litter of 14, and all the while she continued to grow as normal.

One of your big'uns or the littles? The bigs can be 'old enough' at 16 weeks or so, the littles, I haven't a clue

Didn't someone here post a thread on the same topic a while ago and mention that he/she had tried young does and ''normal'' agae does, and the young ones got through pregnancies as well as cared for their kits better?

I would think it's strange that an animal like the rabbits would need to wait an extra bit. I wonder - does that happen at all in the wild?
I'm currently thinking about letting my buck stay with the meat-mutt does permanently, because I feel sorry for him being alone.. but those does are still young, 11 and 20 weeks (and giants so slow maturing and less ''wild'')... and of course I'm concerned they'll get preggers too often and whatnot..

I have an 11 wk old doe and have been wondering the same thing. She is a NZ but i feel like she is to little. 3 mo and 6 mo is a huge differance. I guess i will do what FS was talking about and check the lady bits.

3 months is the earliest...they can successfully have kits then, they can also not successfully have kits then. Depends on the doe.

when they are young like that.. a lot of them don't make good nest and have babies on the wire .. ect.. wait at least 5 months..You might be in a rush.. she will have them and she will not feed them or really nervous because she dosnt know what is going on and eats them ect..Then you have to breed her again. so you are no further ahead.. so just wait.

The doe I was talking about was an american blue and got preg at 4 months, I had to pull out the kits,,,, she was jumping around the hutch for hours with the same one hanging out....over and over, UGH that turned me off!! to having anything mixed young, Im sure in the wild it doesnt matter, they are much more faster maturing and its genetic, Larger Breeds, LOOK like they could breed earier, but they take MUCH longer, Its irritating, I like waiting only 5-6 months thats y I also switched to NZ Mutt Mixes

I bred one of my rex does when she was 5 months. She built a good nest, had nine big kits, lost two, and the remaining seven are 4 weeks old and looking good. She waited until the last possible second to start pulling fur, but once she started she built a really nice nest in her box. No kits on the wire.

Every doe is different, just like people. Only you know what your rabbits are like, how they grow, their behavior, etc. If she's a decent size and she looks ready I say go for it. There's a certain level of risk with ANY breeding.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what about if you don't know the age of your doe? I'd like to breed Babette, my lionhead, but all I know is that she's less than 6 months old. The place my husband got her from thought she was around 2.5 months old when I got her, and she just left her 30 day quarantine. So she's at least 3.5 months old. My understanding with the little guys is you can breed as young as 4 months, but again, I don't know her age. Do I go by weight?

6 months at the least...if she looks ready....6 months is pushing it...look at her lady bits and go by the color

I...disagree that six months is "pushing it." And I do know about the ladypart color thing. ;)

Youngest I bred a doe was 16 weeks, I think? Nursed 5 kits, rebred a week or so later for a litter of 14, and all the while she continued to grow as normal.

Very cool!!!

I just get nervous that they might get stuck...thats all...its happened to me before..so im paranoid now

A stuck kit can happen for many reasons, not the least of which is a small litter tends to grow bigger kits in utero, and some does have genetically narrow hips. :p Stuck kits worry me too...but with all pregnancies there is inherent risk.

One of your big'uns or the littles? The bigs can be 'old enough' at 16 weeks or so, the littles, I haven't a clue

She's a "betweensie" sized, LOL. Small compared to my big rabbits, big compared to my small rabbits, if that makes sense...?

Didn't someone here post a thread on the same topic a while ago and mention that he/she had tried young does and ''normal'' agae does, and the young ones got through pregnancies as well as cared for their kits better?

I thought I saw that but couldn't remember where.

I would think it's strange that an animal like the rabbits would need to wait an extra bit. I wonder - does that happen at all in the wild?

That's a good point...probably not, is my guess.

I guess i will do what FS was talking about and check the lady bits.

The color changes in her vulva are more reflective of cycling, and many does will cycle in a week or so, so it's an ever-changing thing. Just checked a three-year-old doe...nope, not ready. :roll: I'll check her again in two days, ten to one she'll be dark purple then.

3 months is the earliest...they can successfully have kits then, they can also not successfully have kits then. Depends on the doe.

To be fair I don't know much about this doe...part of why I snagged her so cheap. :)

when they are young like that.. a lot of them don't make good nest and have babies on the wire .. ect..

................yeah but ANY doe can do that on their first time. First timers no matter what age tend to be a little clueless. And technically ANY doe can have issues. Heck, earlier this summer I had a doe who is a proven doe, few years old, NEVER made a nest, birthed them on the wire, pulled some hair two weeks before delivery (and precious little at that) and never pulled another tuft, also she just dropped the fur onto the wire willy-nilly, had her kits on the wire, and after I got them in the nest box (and built her darn nest FOR her) she refused to nurse them. I lost the whole litter. Plus...I will totally be breeding her at the same time as an experienced doe, so fostering is an option.

wait at least 5 months..You might be in a rush..

........I really cannot wait that long. Literally, if I have to feed her that long and not try to breed her before then, I may as well dress her out and eat her now. :p I like this doe, I'd like to justify keeping her, but I need litters out of her as soon as possible, hence asking what is the youngest one can safely breed a doe.

she will have them and she will not feed them or really nervous because she dosnt know what is going on and eats them ect..Then you have to breed her again. so you are no further ahead.. so just wait.

Okay...this is gonna sound cruel and probably make me sound like a terrible person, but...if my experienced foster-doe misses or something, and Tootsie won't nurse her kits...I can breed her back as soon as she's healed from the birth. The kits, if I for some reason can't foster them to another doe (i.e., foster doe missed, foster doe's litter is humongous and can't take any more, foster doe has an issue such as no milk), will be swiftly culled and prepped. This doe's function is to make cat food. Little kits are like cat crack, LOL. I'd rather feed them up and wean them, more meat that way, but it won't totally ruin the day if I have to package newborns instead of weanlings. Heck, if she has big litters (please oh please have big litters, Tootsie!) I can pull them as soon as they are about the size of a coke can.

That's why this doe doesn't get the same protocols as my Mini Rex, for example. I want live, preferabbly show-quality kits from them. I can afford to wait for them to mature, blossom, grow and show before breeding. The results I need are vastly different for this crossbred meat doe. Litter failure isn't really failure unless she fails to have a litter. ;)

The doe I was talking about was an american blue and got preg at 4 months, I had to pull out the kits,,,,

Different needs, different situation. ;) I think maybe I should have clarified that I really ONLY need to know when she can successfully carry a litter to term without direct harm when I asked the original question, not how good of a mother she'll be.

I bred one of my rex does when she was 5 months. She built a good nest, had nine big kits, lost two, and the remaining seven are 4 weeks old and looking good. She waited until the last possible second to start pulling fur, but once she started she built a really nice nest in her box. No kits on the wire.

Sounds like a good mom!!!

Every doe is different, just like people. Only you know what your rabbits are like, how they grow, their behavior, etc. If she's a decent size and she looks ready I say go for it. There's a certain level of risk with ANY breeding.

Thank you! :) I'll check her vulva at 16 weeks to see if she's cycling yet, then see if she'll accept a buck. :)

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what about if you don't know the age of your doe?

That's a good (and not-hijacking) question. :) I'm not sure, actually.

In a nutshell; breed them when they show color and eagerly accept the buck. Many members, myself included, have noted better instincts, milk production, and increased litter sizes in does bred "early".

My youngest Rex to kindle was about 6 months. She was in a growout pen with a buck, so got bred as soon as she was willing. She had a litter of ten (almost unheard of in my herd), and raised them all.

Another doe bred early had incredible increase in size and width... so in my opinion, it does not "stunt their growth" in any way.

Plus, where does the idea of that come from? If an animal is bred during the first cycle, there is no way of knowing how it would have matured otherwise. You either breed 'em or you don't. There is no way to check that hypothesis, even by comparing littermates. We all know that sometimes the runt in a litter will grow as large or larger as their siblings, so test breeding/not breeding siblings would not give accurate data either.

Very true, MSD. For example the doe I held back as a breeder WAS their "runt" but she grew faster than the others and "caught up." Frankly I thought she had better muscling and was more compact and "meaty" than her littermates! I'd rather have "runts" like Tootsie than her bigger, lankier sisters! :lol:

Probably buying another round of rabbits from the same breeder for the raw-feeder...and if I can snag another doe like this so much the better. ;)

Gives me good incentive to try and breed my Champagne doe kit a little early, too...hmmm. Kinda wanted to SHOW her though. Decisions, decisions.........

Latest posts

Back