Young buck has no clue what to do

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preitler

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

my beloved, 4yo buck develops problems, don't know if it's a back injury, athritis, or a tumor of some kind, no way to find out, my vet is in full quarantine.
Anyway, I got a new buck, 9 months old. Relaxed, friendly guy. Quite exited when meeting the doe, with circling, spraying, nudging, sniffing her behind - but that's it. He just doesn't have a clue what he's supposed to do. Holding the doe just produces a very grumpy and angry doe, he does nothing, even when I shove him in position.

After a week of trying what I can come up with I got frustrated and just let them out in the garden for the day, but I'm sure he still didn't figure it out.

Too young? Anything I can do to show him the ropes?

i have 4 bucks and none breed so if you have advise for me contact m :D :D :D

Well, I got tired of trying and stuffed him into their hutch for the night every second day since then, and they got the whole daytime in the garden together. It was like he was part of the team from the first second, lots of cuddling, spraying, and no aggressions whatsoever.

I think it worked, at least one doe is digging shallow pits to cool her belly now, and she looks somewhat rounder now. Sigh, without knowing the date the waiting begins. I still keep them together at times in the hope he gets the other one too, if he didn't already.

I always make sure that my breeding bucks are kept in prime condition, just as much as my breeding does.

A flabby, fat buck is always a lazy buck in my barn. So I watch their food intake as much as I do my girls. This means checks for condition, (feeling bellies and hands on evaluations) and adjusting where necessary.
I have bucks that require consistent light to get in the mood just as much as does, or an increased protein ration to become good producers.

I have never had a buck just not want to get the job done. It has always been one of the issues listed above, and when I fixed it....bam! Super producer.

I underestimated that boy, had the first litter on April 14th from the younger doe, first timer, did really great :D

Her mother looks pregnant too, but hard to tell when she's due. I put a divider in during night so she can't use the occupied nestbox.

I got that buck in a pinch, no time to worry about condition, but he always had a lot of exercise, was in a run with several others.

:congratulations:

Glad to hear Mr. Buck figured out his job and you had a successful litter! Hoping your next doe is bred and things go smoothly as well!

Latest posts

Back