Yet more forage feeding type questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
I've been doing a LOT of reading. Both on this forum, talking with other rabbit breeders/owners on my Island and other Islands, etc.

I'm still not quite understanding a few things.

1. Why do some people dry grass before giving it to their rabbits? Doesn't it loose some of it's nutrional value?

2. Why do people say feeding green material to babies cause diarrhea? I've been feeding free feed alfalfa pellets and free feed gathered green forage to the babies and so far all poops are normal (albeit tiny) looking poops.

3. I keep reading that bucks don't require as much food as does. I give him a half cup of alfalfa pellets twice a day. I think he tosses most of that on the ground. I also give him plenty of free forage twice a day. Am I feeding him too much? He always acts like he is starving but his weight seems steady. Should I weigh him once a week to see if that's the case? Should I feed him "weighed" pellets and forage?

4. Why do many people think that pellets and dry hay is better than natural green foods? I keep thinking to myself that for humans and my goats, natural green food is always better than dry or processed foods. So I'm confused.

I have 6 total acres to gather fresh forage from year round. From two different areas. (I have two 3 acre properties).

I'm sure I have lots of other questions but for now thats what I can think of.

dayna":1g6aqimm said:
I've been doing a LOT of reading. Both on this forum, talking with other rabbit breeders/owners on my Island and other Islands, etc.

I'm still not quite understanding a few things.

1. Why do some people dry grass before giving it to their rabbits? Doesn't it loose some of it's nutrional value?

I believe it is to provide more dry fiber to the diet. The nutrients are also more concentrated because there is little water content.

2. Why do people say feeding green material to babies cause diarrhea? I've been feeding free feed alfalfa pellets and free feed gathered green forage to the babies and so far all poops are normal (albeit tiny) looking poops.

Because they do not feed it from the time the kits are leaving the nest. Kits at that age are just exploring their food options and take a little nibble here and there, allowing them to develop proper gut flora to handle it.

Problems arise when someone buys an 8 week old rabbit and gives it a mess of fresh foods that they will gorge on (so tasty!) which upsets the delicate balance in their cecum, resulting in gas, diarrhea, bloating, and possible death.

3. I keep reading that bucks don't require as much food as does. I give him a half cup of alfalfa pellets twice a day. I think he tosses most of that on the ground. I also give him plenty of free forage twice a day. Am I feeding him too much? He always acts like he is starving but his weight seems steady. Should I weigh him once a week to see if that's the case? Should I feed him "weighed" pellets and forage?

Most of my bucks eat less than my does.

The best way to check his condition is to run your hand down his backbone.
Can't feel it= too fat
Gently rounded bumps= just right
Sharp or spiky= too thin

4. Why do many people think that pellets and dry hay is better than natural green foods? I keep thinking to myself that for humans and my goats, natural green food is always better than dry or processed foods. So I'm confused.

See #1.

Regarding pellets... they are convenient and nutritionally balanced.

Plus the manufacturers of processed foods have spent zillions of dollars on advertising for several generations, to the point that people don't believe it is possible to feed a cat, dog, rabbit, or person properly without using their "scientifically formulated diets".

I have 6 total acres to gather fresh forage from year round. From two different areas. (I have two 3 acre properties).

I'm sure I have lots of other questions but for now thats what I can think of.

Thanks, that does explain a lot. So my babies should have no problem since they are raised eating green stuff from the get-go? When I sell the babies, if they decide to feed them hay will that upset their tummies? Should they start with forage and slowly add in hay or does going from wet to dry not cause issues, just dry to wet?<br /><br />__________ Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:12 pm __________<br /><br />In this photo you can see the poop on the concrete block. They are nice and firm and the babies are eating mostly green stuff at this point (they like it better than alfalfa).

babies.jpg

It is going dry to wet that causes problems. If when they go to their new homes they develop loose stools, the new owners can drastically reduce or eliminate the greens for a couple of days and offer hay and old fashioned oatmeal to transition them.

Their poop looks totally normal and healthy. :)

Thanks everyone! They are growing so fast. I cut that grass from around my banana trees. I don't like to weed wack it and the mower doesn't go all the way up to it so the grass around the bananas are always lush and green. :) Usually there are more weeds mixed in. haha!

MamaSheepdog":2zhrgpvy said:

I believe it is to provide more dry fiber to the diet. The nutrients are also more concentrated because there is little water content.

What do you mean by "more concentrated because there is little water content"? Should there not be much water in the greens you feed them?

mystang89":19smrmhi said:
MamaSheepdog":19smrmhi said:

What do you mean by "more concentrated because there is little water content"?

http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/live/g2 ... /g2093.pdf

Latest posts

Back