yellow urine

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracysBunBun

Reaction score
Hi. My bunny usually has amber or clear urine. But the last 2 days it has been yellow. She uses paper towels and hasn't decreased or increased in quantities. Her diet is pretty stable (although she does like a variety of unusual food...for a treat but just not lately).

This is pretty much her standard diet: a piece of banana. 5 grapes, 2 blackberries, 4 blueberries...but she has been turning them down the last month) 1 baby carrot. Lots of Spring Mix Lettuce, Red and Green Leaf lettuce. She gets a few mealworms and a strawberry yogurt kiss treat. Her poop is generally the size of kernals of pepper you would put in a pepper mill. She does have some soft raspberry-shaped poop. If she eats them...she has always left them from birth. We replenish the fruit and lettuce throughout the day so she is never without, but she is certainly not a pig. She does get a lot of moisture in her food, we have never seen her drink water from a bottle or a dish. We change it twice a day in the event she is just a sipper. She produces plenty of urine...so she is getting plenty of fluids.

She is active and spends a good deal of time hopping around the house doing her bunny thing. She seems to be a very hoppy happy bunny.
She weighs just under 3 lbs, is of good weight.
She is a Cotton Tail, will be 3 in July.

My gut is that everything seems normal except the color, but I'd like to ask in the event that there is information I am missing.

Wow, yes, I am also curious about feeding mealworms. Are they dried or live? Does she readily eat them? I suppose rabbits grazing on pastures would surely eat a couple bug or two, and they're an excellent source of protein. I actually have quite a few mealworms I'd love to get rid of without wasting LOL. I wonder if there would be negative effects on a domesticated European breed rabbit v. a North American wild rabbit.

Yellow is a normal colour of rabbit urine. We discussed urine a bit ago in this post, where I linked to a helpful website.

I feel like the daily fruits would add too much sugar in her diet. Out of curiosity, does her urine smell sweet? I'm wondering if she's possibly diabetic and her turning down the daily sweets is affecting her. Though, I don't know if rabbits even can be diabetic. It's just a wild speculation.

Maybe offer her some more grasses (or hays, but that adds no moisture). Yellow urine would not concern me, but if you were worried about dehydration, then you can mix in some electrolytes for her.

@TracysBunBun how is your little doe doing today? Has her urine returned to the colour you'd normally expect from her? Again, yellow isn't really a concern, but I am curious how she's doing.

Also, I'd love to hear more information you have on the mealworms!

I don't see why a rabbit wouldn't be able to go diabetic. They have a liver and a pancreas after all. How would you check their A1C? Easy enough to check BGL, even if it would likely make the rabbit angry.

In humans dark urine would indicate dehydration. It can also indicate electrolyte imbalance. Is it all the fruits or just the blueberries she is rejecting?

I don't see a lot of dietary fiber in your list. Not very much that goes for teeth wear.

The raspberry poops are cecotropes. I would not expect them to be seen since they usually get eaten by the rabbit. It is a source of protein and a sort of probiotic.

I suppose unlimited hay went unmentioned? This diet sounds like what is often fed additionally at treat level (except for the mealworms, never heard that before). Rabbits evolved on a meager diet, grass, and weeds, no rich vegetables created for human needs. Those are ok in moderation, a diverse diet is a good thing, but it's not ideal staple food. Leaving cecotropes uneaten most times is a sign that the diet is way too rich and might cause long term health issues.

You write it's a cottontail? Actually, a wild local rabbit, or do you mean the colour (Agouti)? Where or how did you get it? There are a few threads about raising a Cottontail I think, there might be some legal issues with keeping wild animals.

(Domestic) Rabbit pee comes in a variety of colours, from clear, to yellow, orange, The Red Pee Of Horror, and even darker. It can change for no obvious reasons, even if fed the same plants things like soil or age of the plant can change composition somewhat. I also think time of year, hormones etc. can play into that.

Wow, yes, I am also curious about feeding mealworms. Are they dried or live? Does she readily eat them? I suppose rabbits grazing on pastures would surely eat a couple bug or two, and they're an excellent source of protein. I actually have quite a few mealworms I'd love to get rid of without wasting LOL. I wonder if there would be negative effects on a domesticated European breed rabbit v. a North American wild rabbit.

Yellow is a normal colour of rabbit urine. We discussed urine a bit ago in this post, where I linked to a helpful website.

I feel like the daily fruits would add too much sugar in her diet. Out of curiosity, does her urine smell sweet? I'm wondering if she's possibly diabetic and her turning down the daily sweets is affecting her. Though, I don't know if rabbits even can be diabetic. It's just a wild speculation.

Maybe offer her some more grasses (or hays, but that adds no moisture). Yellow urine would not concern me, but if you were worried about dehydration, then you can mix in some electrolytes for her.
Thank you. No her urine does not smell sweet, I'm familiar with urine smells... We are in Wisconsin so our grass isn't yet She has always refused hay...we have a large variety of legumes, grasses, we also have pellets, cubes in alfalfa & timothy. She ignores all. All pasture season we harvest for her. If she starts to get clover, she separates out the grasses and only eats the clover. Until she gets the clover, she will eat the fresh grasses, they are more orchard and fescue but will not eat foxtail.

I was wondering if the Bright yellow would be connected to an increase in Vitamin C (happens in humans) but no one said that...so perhaps they don't show vitamin c the same way. I'm not worried about her dehydration (maybe I am wrong...?), I believe she is getting enough fluids thru her lettuce and fruit. It is just strange we have never felt she drinks...although how much should a bunny intake of water daily? I do not know that.

A few months ago was the first time I was worried about her since she was an infant. She had a couple of Splots of diarrhea. Concerned about her gut flora and dehydration...as she was off her food...I used our Probios powder and gave her what I thought would be a good dose for a 2.5 lb rabbit vs 750lb horse ;) She was back to normal the next day. That was scary because I only had my large animal knowledge to fall back on... So I found this wonderful website.

oops I am sorry about the mealworms. They are dry and she loves them. We have a pet sparrow that loves them as well. Use them I don't think there should be a problem...so start small.

@TracysBunBun how is your little doe doing today? Has her urine returned to the colour you'd normally expect from her? Again, yellow isn't really a concern, but I am curious how she's doing.

Also, I'd love to hear more information you have on the mealworms!
thanks! She is her hoppy, cuddly self. Currently playing with the dog. She appears normal in every way, good quantity urine (haven't had it run in awhile but I could). Her poops are little hard balls, an occasional soft one pops out. She eats her food. Hates pellets although they are always offered to her. Refuses hay...it just sits touched, She dreams of summer pastures.

The bright yellow color just was not her. Usually hers is peach a little darker or lighter at times. sometimes clear...but the yellow just was different and I was not asking because she was acting sick... But I so appreciate everyone's thoughts!

I suppose unlimited hay went unmentioned? This diet sounds like what is often fed additionally at treat level (except for the mealworms, never heard that before). Rabbits evolved on a meager diet, grass, and weeds, no rich vegetables created for human needs. Those are ok in moderation, a diverse diet is a good thing, but it's not ideal staple food. Leaving cecotropes uneaten most times is a sign that the diet is way too rich and might cause long term health issues.

You write it's a cottontail? Actually, a wild local rabbit, or do you mean the colour (Agouti)? Where or how did you get it? There are a few threads about raising a Cottontail I think, there might be some legal issues with keeping wild animals.

(Domestic) Rabbit pee comes in a variety of colours, from clear, to yellow, orange, The Red Pee Of Horror, and even darker. It can change for no obvious reasons, even if fed the same plants things like soil or age of the plant can change composition somewhat. I also think time of year, hormones etc. can play into that.
Hi, thank you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate what everyone has to say. I hope I don't ramble too much but people have brought up questions & I could have answered some of them when I asked my question had I been more clear.

The thought of increased hormones never entered my mind, but it is spring. Last year I thought she might show signs of nesting...but nothing changed, she preferred to sit on the cat tower or sprawl out on her couch. When I saw the vibrant yellow color, I was leaning toward an increase in vitamin C (?) But I couldn't think anything had changed in her diet that could have contributed to this...(the only exception is in November & May when grass growing season ends and Lettuce season begins and vice versa). She has been on the same diet since we weaned her off evaporated milk...(she will be 3 in july so it has been a while). She is not a gorger or zeros in on one particular food. I had given a rundown of her diet to the vet (she passed away this winter). At the time, she was not concerned and felt she was in wonderful condition (teeth, fecal & uranalysis) although she was amused she loves cheese, pizza, ice cream & angel food. No, she doesn't get it often but will happily take 3 bites chewing 50 times between bites. I just think it is amusing what we think she should eat (hay) that she won't even try but is willing to take a bite of toast or chicken.

Her urine when she was younger was orange...but as she has matured it is clear or a light peach color.

Thank you for your alarm but she only occasionally will leave a cecotrope (sorry I don't remember the proper term...I poorly attempted to say that I don't ever see her eat them, so she must eat them at night. I do however know if she drops one out during the day, the puppy finds them tasty...she is the one that loves to groom Bun-Bun. Buns loves this...I personally don't like my ears cleaned, but Buns finds it relaxing. I was worried the puppy would think of Buns as a stuffed toy...the puppy is a chihuahua...they are the same size and have a lb difference in weight.

yes, she is an Eastern Cottontail. Found her off the driveway on the lawn by the barn. It is a large mowed area. She sat there and I left her watching expecting she would dart and disappear until I realized exactly how small and what she was. We raised her on a bottle. Her eyes were not open and her ears were still flat and hairless. Thinking she was picked up by a large bird and dropped. She has a turned-out right hind foot, a crooked ear & slightly to the left a lot, as she matured these became more noticeable although she has no trouble hopping about. When our chiropractor comes next for the horses I asked her to adjust her. I have been doing bodywork on her and she is good about stretching out her stifles, neck & elbows, I'm not sure why she was not with her mom in a nest...but if I had left her she would have died. Many of her cousins live across the road in our prairie. She and I drive around in the 4 wheeler and see them, I think she is happy she gets to live with us, she likes to cuddle in the electric blanket...and she gives me lots of bunny kisses when I pick her up. I am sure there is someone out there that would be happy to turn her back out into the wild. That was our goal, but she was too young and imprinted on us just out of circumstance. Honestly, I was a bit worried if she could not make it in the wild, she might be messy & smell, but she is very clean by her standards. She likes floating in water but I haven't taken her swimming in the lake to find out if bunnies to the dog paddle or the breaststroke. :)

Someone was concerned about her teeth wearing down. I was too and have found she does well with a simple carriage bolt to manicure them. She is uninterested in chewing on wood or commercial bunny stuff. The only commercial things I get for her are the strawberry yogurt kisses. everything else goes uneaten to the humane society.

it sounds like yellow is an ok color. I certainly hope I don't run into anything else I need to ask about...but I certainly will keep reading people's experiences and questions. It is quite fascinating. I am looking for another bunny vet. They are not very common.

I just want to have a happy, healthy bunny that will live a long life and I want to be the best caretaker I can be for God's wonderful creature He put in my care. What a Blessing she has turned out to be. I sure didn't think that would happen the day I found her!

I don't see why a rabbit wouldn't be able to go diabetic. They have a liver and a pancreas after all. How would you check their A1C? Easy enough to check BGL, even if it would likely make the rabbit angry.

In humans dark urine would indicate dehydration. It can also indicate electrolyte imbalance. Is it all the fruits or just the blueberries she is rejecting?

I don't see a lot of dietary fiber in your list. Not very much that goes for teeth wear.

The raspberry poops are cecotropes. I would not expect them to be seen since they usually get eaten by the rabbit. It is a source of protein and a sort of probiotic.
I think the blueberries are sour...she usually likes them She is eating her other blackberries, grapes. & banana piece.
Yes, I believe her urine would be more concentrated, sweet, and thicker. I have no idea how you would check with a blood draw. I do wish I could do a draw on her...that is not going to happen. I bet her veins are minuscule too!

She doesn't like to chew or gnaw on wood or anything. I was concerned about her managing her teeth when she was young. When I found her chewing on her tray, I covered it in bar soap and added bones to the wood. When I discovered her chewing on her ladder, I realized it was not the fabric but the angle of the metal. So I thought hard and attached a bolt to the inside of her cage at the same level. She periodically uses it as her dental tool. I'm not implying it will work for every rabbit but it sure works for her!. I tried dental bones, dried bones too...she does not like commercial rabbit gimmicks. I check her teeth regularly and they look nice.

She must be eating the soft poops at night. Occasionally she does drop one and the puppy finds them tasty. the puppy isn't crazy about the hard balls now...I think she realized there is a difference!

Thanks for replying! I sure appreciate people's care and concern. Otherwise, I would feel very alone in the world of fluff. My goal is to be knowledge preventative & proactive because it's not if something happens but when. (I remember the first time she urinated orange...)

It worries me a little that she is using metal for her teeth. I would first start introducing some hay. Maybe try fresh grass if she refuses dry hay. It will have more of the protein her digestive system is designed for as well as fiber. It will encourage the cutting, scissors like action with her teeth. Even if she seems to ignore it, leave it for her. Her hindgut isn't really designed for the rich diet she is getting. All those foods are generally considered treats. Instead of a bolt, just get some sticks from the yard. Willow is popular, as are fruit woods. Maple is easy to identify and well received. Chewing on wood is natural for her. She might actually play with them, tossing them around. Some of the more tender sticks are edible too!

If you got a cheap blood glucose meter and some lancets all you need to do is make a prick with the lancet. A drop the size of a pin head is quite large enough. You simply touch the test strip to the drop and in a second or two you get the reading. In humans 100 is a good reading if fasting, so test before feeding. It is amazing how fast a bit of juice can muddy the reading.

Excessive Vitamin C would usually be a darker yellow, sorta orangey. Vitamin B, however, would make it more vibrant yellow, almost like highlighter yellow. Honestly, I wouldn't think too much about it since yellow is still a healthy, natural colour for rabbit urine. A lot of the experience at least I have, and I'm sure most others on this forum as well, would be in the domesticated European rabbit rather than the North American wild rabbit. So there may be some minute differences like urine colour, but I still wouldn't expect this to cause any sort of alarm. It's also important to keep that in mind when searching for a new vet. You'd be better off finding a vet at a wildlife rehabilitation center, who would more likely specialize in the North American cottontail.

I appreciate the info about the mealworms. Thanks for explaining the rest of her diet and lifestyle you provide to her. Always interesting to hear about things that some people find work really well with their rabbits and some don't. Really funny she likes to file her teeth down on a bolt! She may chip a tooth on that, so continue to monitor the health of her teeth. But I know people file down their rabbits' teeth with metal files and they're fine. I do think it would be a good idea for her long-term health to reduce the sugars she is getting (just because the berry is sour does not mean it doesn't have sugars) and find ways to increase her fibre intake. She's doing great now, but who knows if she'll develop issues as she gets older. Just something to consider. She sounds like quite the loved and spoiled little girl ☺

Latest posts

Back