Yay! Learning about meat rabbits. 4H

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutchess

Reaction score
Okay so today we went to our first 4-H meeting and I had a lot of fun. :) We learned about the value/management/care of market (meat pen) rabbits. The lady who spoke about them said that you can make from $50 to $300 dollars per pen raised in 4-H. My mom really liked that idea the only problem is the market show we'd have to take them to is quite a ways away and my dad said its too far and we're only allowed to keep two rabbits on premises. But my brother's doing it too so that means I only get one rabbit. Anyway we wouldn't be doing it till next year IF I can convince dad. So can I get some information about raising a meat pen how much money you make how much money u put into it etc?

Those numbers sound good all by themselves, but is that what the pens sold for, or is that actual profit?

To figure if a venture will stand a chance of making money, you start by (over)estimating your costs. How much for the rabbits, how much for the feed for the whole time period, equipment costs, entry fees, show expenses (gas to & from, motel) and a vet fund. I know most of us don't use the vet much, but sometimes you do need one.

After you get that number, then visit with the 4H folks and see if you can get the sales amounts for the last 3 or 4 sales. When you have these numbers, scratch out the lowest price & the highest price. Then get the average. If this number is higher than your expense figure, you have a good argument to present to your dad. If it isn't, you might not want to push him. :good-luck:

Back