WWYD? Singleton (or first kit) at bedtime

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One doe I expected to kindle today started to pull fur thid afternoon and has one fat kit that she birthed around 7pm. It is after 10 now, so I do not know if she will have more. I pulled 2 kits from another doe that had 5 kits today just to keep the fat singleton warm. In hindsight, should Inhave done something different? Is 3 enough to stay warm? We have a low of 41 F tonight and tons of fur in both nests.

Attachments

• 20230205_213424.mp4
    16.8 MB
One doe I expected to kindle today started to pull fur thid afternoon and has one fat kit that she birthed around 7pm. It is after 10 now, so I do not know if she will have more. I pulled 2 kits from another doe that had 5 kits today just to keep the fat singleton warm. In hindsight, should Inhave done something different? Is 3 enough to stay warm? We have a low of 41 F tonight and tons of fur in both nests.
Perfect. (y):) Nice job. I have found that three kits in a nest do fine for warmth, especially if ambient temps are at or over 40F.

Once you find out whether the doe is done or not (I'd wait another day just to be sure), if she does not have any more you can consider giving all the kits to one of the does, which will free up the other to rebreed. I do this with small litters since I have limited season and space for bunny production.

Perfect. (y):) Nice job. I have found that three kits in a nest do fine for warmth, especially if ambient temps are at or over 40F.

Once you find out whether the doe is done or not (I'd wait another day just to be sure), if she does not have any more you can consider giving all the kits to one of the does, which will free up the other to rebreed. I do this with small litters since I have limited season and space for bunny production.
That was exactly my thought. I will give the singleton to the doe with 5 and rebreed my biggest doe. I am so disappointed! She is quite large (11#?) so I was lokong forward tonsaving her genetics, especially her color (red). I think she had this one oversized kit because I was feeding her a couple tablespoons of oats every time I would do chores to make her more friendly. I think I made her too fat. So, the new plan is rebreed probably tonight woth the REW either TAMUK or Flemish Giant and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back