WTAF?? IDK

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Castroy8283

Reaction score
Hi so I have googled and safari’s and YouTubed everything I can to learn the difference between male and female and I understand fully what they are saying and have no issues with the diagrams
However I do have an issue in identifying in person myself they all look the same to me except the dad of all who I only noticed had gonads after babies came
If anyone has an answer I’d be grateful as I need to start separating babies I have that are 2 1/2 months old if they can potentially breed

Compare babies with what moms and dads bits look like. They are very similar (other than gonads on dad), only smaller.

I say bucks have cheerios and does have tacos. LOL. Also, bucks have more space between anus and penis. The doe's parts are much closer together. I don't sex babies until 4 weeks, then I check several times as they get closer to 8 weeks. Smaller breeds can be very difficult to tell, even at 6-8 weeks. If you can take good pictures you can post them here. Also, make sure you are actually applying a little pressure, just putting your fingers in the right spots won't show everything.

When you apply slight pressure on either side it will pop out, i would suggest gently pulling the tail back at the same time, if you can get someone to hold the kit while you check its easier, took me a while to be proficient on my own. For a boy it will look like a tube or a straw, basically a circular shape rising straight up, with a female it will look like a teardrop with the point of the teardrop pointing towards the tail, the circular side will be higher then the point.

Hope that helps.

Yes, separate as soon as possible. Rabbits can become sexually active at a very young age. At 2 1/2 months they should be pretty easy to sex. Use your finger to apply pressure. Until you have practiced LOTS, it is easier if someone is holding the rabbit for you. The buck will have a tube look with space between it and the anus. With pressure it pops out more. If it's not a circle, it's not a buck.

If you post pictures, we can help you out. It is definitely a learned skill and it is really hard to tell on a young kit.

Bucks have been described as a "burrito" or "volcano" while Does have been described as a "Taco"
I’ve researched all I can and still myself cannot tell the difference they look female or male and then they all look the same
My eyesight is going though and that’s struggling with glasses on
Don’t be so quick to jump on like others k ow nothing some of us are struggling just to see the words not as a blur

I’ve researched all I can and still myself cannot tell the difference they look female or male and then they all look the same
My eyesight is going though and that’s struggling with glasses on
Don’t be so quick to jump on like others k ow nothing some of us are struggling just to see the words not as a blur
If you can find someone to assist you by holding the rabbit, it helps a lot. When I first started sexing, it wasn't easy. I still have some litters that are hard. They don't always just "pop" out.
Good light helps. Also, if I have a helper or compliant rabbit, I will use my cell phone to take a picture. I can then enlarge it for a better view. It's just what you have to resort to when the eyes start growing older. Haha.....

Last edited:
I’ve had that but I’m using an idiot that knows nothing and still they all look the same to me I need a person to physically show me I think
I’ll got to vet today and ask them as I’m struggling I’m not sure what the boys are till they sacks are visible 😅😅🥹

do you have someone who can help you?

The best trick I have for people is this. Young males will have a hairless area on either side of their vent area. This is where their testicles will be. Females do NOT have that hairlessness.

Girls have a thin line on either side of their vent. If you have poor eyesight, you may need a magnifying glass to help you.

Also, if you are raising meat breeds, females will often start having a dewlap by 2.5 months.

I’ve had that but I’m using an idiot that knows nothing and still they all look the same to me I need a person to physically show me I think
I’ll got to vet today and ask them as I’m struggling I’m not sure what the boys are till they sacks are visible 😅😅🥹
It would probably be better to take a few pics and post here over asking a vet. Most of them can't tell either

Latest posts

Back