Writers among our members

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Everybunny,

This thread is for the writers among our members -- people who are quietly tap-tap-tapping away on their keyboards to create a novel, novella, short story, poem or other written work.

I'm writing a historical novel set in the 1880s in Ontario, just north of where I live. The story is about a British Home Child who is sent to Canada as a domestic servant and mother's help in 1886. Between 1869 and 1948 over 100,000 such orphans and homeless children were sent to Canada this way as domestics and farm workers.

My book is the imagined but well-researched story of one Home Girl that follows her life from a four-year-old orphan to dawning adulthood at eighteen. I hope to have a completed draft by the end of the year.

@rockyhillrabbits is also a writer and has one book published and another in the works. Hey, Rocky, how about telling us about it.

I hope many of the people who are writing will come forward to talk about their books. I know you're out there!

~ MaggieJ

Last edited:
My sister is writing a book but it’s very far of from being published. It’s a fantasy book about the council(goodish people) and the empire (its actually a mix between a revolution and a empire) and almost everyone has abilities(fire, water, wind, earth and maybe light and dark) but some people have special abilities, starlings, elementals that can do stuff that only the stars should be able to do (telepathy, empathy, control life force, control someones body etc.). The council tried to wipeout these people in doing so they started a war. the book starts a pretty long time after the war and it follows two characters, Midnight the heir of the empire who realizes that the empire is not the place she thought it was and Dexie a orphan who wants revenge because the empire killed her parents. What do you think?

I've been writing a few stories lately, me and my friend have completed a Warrior Cats book, halfway through the second rn
We're also writing a Pokemon story and have 14 chapters so far
And I've been writing a story on my own based on a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game and I'm on chapter 12

My first book is titled A Promise to Keep and it's a YA fiction novel. It's about my two main characters, Maggie Montgomery and Jeremiah Tate. They grew up together, on the same gravel road, in the same small town. Their lives are as different as can be, with Maggie having a very normal childhood with a large extended family. Jeremiah lost his mom when he was only three and his dad became an abusive alcoholic because of the loss. Jeremiah has nobody in his corner except for Maggie and her family, who love him like their own. Maggie wants to go away to college and pursue a career in the arts but her parents are determined to keep her close and they want her to be a nurse or teacher; an awful boring career to Maggie. Jeremiah plays football in high school and a scholarship could be his ticket out and a way to a brighter future. Maggie is torn between keeping her parents happy by doing what they want or choosing her own life.
Of course, their friendship is complicated a bit by them realizing they love each other.

I was going to end it and leave it up to the reader to determine how their stories end but I had too many requests to write a sequel, so I am now 200 pages in to the second part and I am really enjoying writing it. It's always fun to me because I truly sometimes don't know how the story is going to end until it all unfolds. People who don't write have no clue what I'm talking about, but sometimes the story line changes from what I thought it would be lol. When that happens I just let it.

I am writting a memoir. I'm from a large family.....13 children. The first part of the book is about all the crazy things that happened while we lived on a 300 acre ranch. Lots of fun animal stories. My parents become stateside missionaries with all us kids in tow. It was quite a ride. Lots of adventures, including being homeless for three months. It's all about the journey God took us on from caring first about our animals then, to caring more for people. I'm on my 5th or 6th draft. Can't seem to nail the ending. Also have to do reasurch and editing on stuff that I just didn't remember accurately or the timeline is messed up.

Your book might include by way of passing a mention of the orphan trains. train loads of orphans sent west across the continent to men, women and families. These trains were advertised and people would come to the train station on the appointed day. The children were unloaded and people would pick a boy or girl take and raise. Many times it was older couples who in need of someone to help them around the farm or home.
just some thoughts.

Aren't they all? :D

Marilla, the cat in my avatar, was totally amazing. There'll never be another like her for me. We had her for a bit over ten years and I was heartbroken when she suffered kidney failure and had to be euthanized.

Jenny, her successor, is a sweet affectionate little thing. Jet black with a little fringe of white for a necklace. It amazes me how much of what I say to them that these cats understand. (Doesn't mean they obey, of course, but, hey! they're cats.)

Back