Would this be a good pairing?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So we have a brother and sister pedigreed holland. They are still very young but im thinking forward. I have been told you can and also been told you shouldn't breed brother and sister together.

So ive been looking for a good match for the two.

The buck i was told is a fawn/blue harli.
Doe is a broken orange.

I found a pedigreed tri color doe. Would this doe and my buck work good together?

Please don't flame me but Im not looking to show so they would never be advertised as show potential bunnies. I have no idea how all that works or how to determine show quality. But i do know friendly loving bunnies!!! My main concerns are health and friendliness. So even the pretty unshowable colors would be fine. Id like to produce harlies, magpies and i do love a broken with a pretty butterfly nose mark :)

So here are the pics of my very pretty buck and my very pretty doe and the potential doe who is a little over a year old.

What would they produce color wise? I honestly have tried to understand genetics (abcd?? lol) but i dont get it. But i do understand color names lol

Also just an update. We no longer are breeding our meat mutts. We just dont have the heart to dispatch them anymore. So they have been retired from breeding and are just our spoiled pets now. But we love bunnies so much so now we are working with purebred nethies and now hollands :)

Yes theres are bad moms in the bunny world, that why we go with the 3 strikes rulesits sad. She is a gorgeous tricolor though.

Tricolor is basically broken harlequin, so if you want tricolors, just get a black harli boy for your girl or a broken girl for the buck.
Sadly your boy being blue based would most likelly carry on the blue base and this would mute the colors of the tricolor making them less striking. In this case your best bet would be to get a black broken to fight against the blue base I think (or broken chestnut, chestnut = black agouti)
Marpie is something else entirelly so unless the parents are marpies I doubt you'd be getting any without getting one, so try and find a marpie girl for your buck.

Also just as my 2 cents ^.- if you find a chocolate boy, I dunno if yours carry chocolate, but take it. Choco will make so many fun colors pop out for you with your girl even if she doesnt carry it herself. I'd take a choco over taking a harli boy for her.

So in short from what you said you'd like to have you want :
- Black based harlequin buck for your girl
- Marpie doe for your boy
or
- Chocolate buck for your girl
- 1 marpie doe + 1 broken black (or broken chestnut) doe for your boy.

Bear in mind these are my recomendtion to get fun pet colors to show up, not show quality stuff, but you said thats what you wanted ^.-

ipoGSD":1he92gsm said:
From speaking to the lady, she wouldnt recommend her as a mom. She said she was a horrible mom and let her babies die :(

I wonder how experienced "the lady" is as a rabbit breeder. There are does with rotten mothering skills but there are lots of young does that lose litters more due to inexperience than indifference. Mothering skills are a blend of instinct and experience, or nature and nurture, if you prefer.

One strategy to use if you want to get kits from this doe is to breed two or even three does to kindle at the same time. If she isn't feeding her kits, you could foster some to the other does.

I wouldn't worry unduly about ONE brother-sister breeding, especially if the offspring will be bred to less closely-related rabbits. But do be aware that close inbreeding intensifies both desirable and undesirable characteristics and you must be willing to terminally cull any unhealthy offspring. The chances of this happening from only one such cross are, fortunately, slight. I've heard quoted a study where they crossed siblings for 17 generations before running into serious problems. Can't give you the source, unfortunately, as it was 10-12 years ago that I read about it.

So after really thinking about it and fully agreeing that sometimes first moms dont know what they're doing and seeing another photo of the tri colored doe. Im going to go for it. She really is beautiful and from what I'm told shes friendly.

I definitely will be ready with another doe to kindle the same time tho in case she doesnt want to care for the litter.

So when i meet the doe and if i like her, i will be needing to find another place for yet more quarantine lol gonna be a pain but hopefully worth it :)

On a side note.. photobucket wants to charge 30+ dollars a month to be able to share pics. Um..how about a big HECK no! LOL

__________ Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:57 am __________

gallery/image.php?album_id=2&image_id=3811&display=popup <br /><br /> __________ Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:01 am __________ <br /><br /> Ok that was a fail lol tried putting the other pic of the doe on here...

tinypic has days where it doesnt work, but 90% of the time it works rly well, it's what I use for pics when I upload em here.

She is a gorgeous tricolor and she's black based so that'll help against the blue base so she is good. Though you'll most likelly only have sades of harlequin or tricolors for babies.

Back