Wool breeds need more food?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
I've been giving my eng angora 1 cup of pellets. She's about 7 pounds right now. She's a couple years old so fully mature.

She's holding her weight really well. I supplement with forage, hay, alfalfa cubes, etc.

My french angora is about 4 months old, slightly less weight but a larger rabbit (leggier longer, etc) and clearly growing.

I don't generally "free feed" my growing rabbits much past weaning age except for forage.

I noticed my french angora is feeling a little boney. Does she need more food than a short haired rabbit of similar age? She goes through that cup of food pretty quickly.

I believe that each Rabbit regardless of the breed,
should be fed as an individual. Some Rabbit require
more or less feed per day to reach their potential
and maintain proper health and nutrition.
But, that's just me.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

That's more than just you, ottersatin. That is common sense especially when dealing with different types of rabbit.

If your not already feeding her 18%, it couldn't hurt to switch. Mine are only fed 18, as I've noticed they just don't produce a quality coat on anything less.

There was a person at the rabbit show this weekend teasing that angoras needed such a high protein diet, he was suprised that we didn't just feed them meat! :)

I'm only feeding 16% it's all I can get, but the Angoras eat more than the SF, and they get their BOSS or something all year around. Right now the newly sr REWs are eating less than the other sr buck, but he is at the beginning of a new growth cycle, and they are nearing the end.

Let me just put it out there that I don't feed all my animals the same.... Thats why I came here to ask this question.

I can only get 14% or 16%.

Would adding in some more alfalfa pellets or cubes be worthwhile or just up the pellet ration?

Just my opinions, YMMV -
I feed a 16% protein food - but I feed 3.5% fat. I free feed till 4-5 months, my seniors get 1oz per # of bodyweight approximately. This is about 3/4 cup for the English, 1 cup for the satins, and 1.5 for my big French. I personally think it's not just the % of protein but the quality of protein, and the fat level in the feed as well. I find if I increase protein, I get a more frequent molt.

My tractor bunnies get free fed - or 1 cup per rabbit in the tractor plus one cup.

ottersatin":2k6aydau said:
I believe that each Rabbit regardless of the breed,
should be fed as an individual. Some Rabbit require
more or less feed per day to reach their potential
and maintain proper health and nutrition.
But, that's just me.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I totally agree with that. I've got some does that are picky eaters and others that are piggies. The picky eaters aren't starving to death they just don't care to gobble down their food like the others.

However, that picky eater gets preggers and she can pack it away!

I had a doe that was skin and bones until just a few weeks ago, even though all of my rabbits are free fed.

Thought it was weird genetics as she wouldn't gain weight no matter what I did (wool block treatments, wormer, giving her more high fat foods, etc) and I almost culled her. Figured if I was going to cull her I might at least try to breed her once to see if my buck went sterile since another doe wouldnt who usually would, (bred them both, got two litters when I really only have space for one at a time!) and lo and behold, now that the kits are weaning, she's kept up her appetite and her weight is up! She's a lovely girl, shy, but other wise a sweet temperament, and she threw some beautiful kits, so she stays after all! Yay!

Back