Wondering about this.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. It is common practice to allow 3 or 4 breedings during the same day.

Some say their does have delivered 2 sets of babies when bred two weeks apart.

Ok, was just wondering for example
Like if a doe was breed one day
And then like 2 days later she's breed
Again. Didn't know if that would
Damage her some how or if she
Would be ok?

Many breeders will breed a doe, and then eight hours or so later breed her again. Does are induced ovulaters, some think that second breedings will increase litters size or increase the chances that she "took." :) I usually breed a doe in the morning, as many times as the buck will go for, then again that evening "just in case." I don't think it will hurt anything.

2 bun-owner":12sqns3y said:
Just was wondering if a doe is breed more then once at a time
Can something happen to her?

Not according to this study:

In most mammals the progesterone secreted during gestation inhibits oestrus and the pregnant female refuses to mate, but a pregnant doe may accept mating throughout the gestation period. Indeed, in the second half of pregnancy this is the most common behaviour (Figure 10).

A breeder cannot therefore use the sexual behaviour of does as an indication of pregnancy. Mating occurring during gestation has no dire consequences for the embryos. Unlike the phenomenon observed in the female hare, superfoetation (two simultaneous pregnancies at two different stages of development) never occurs in rabbits.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/t1690E/t1690e05.htm

MamaSheepdog":30qyviyv said:
2 bun-owner":30qyviyv said:
Just was wondering if a doe is breed more then once at a time
Can something happen to her?

Not according to this study:

In most mammals the progesterone secreted during gestation inhibits oestrus and the pregnant female refuses to mate, but a pregnant doe may accept mating throughout the gestation period. Indeed, in the second half of pregnancy this is the most common behaviour (Figure 10).

A breeder cannot therefore use the sexual behaviour of does as an indication of pregnancy. Mating occurring during gestation has no dire consequences for the embryos. Unlike the phenomenon observed in the female hare, superfoetation (two simultaneous pregnancies at two different stages of development) never occurs in rabbits.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/t1690E/t1690e05.htm

EXCELLENT information there, MSD!!!!

Why, thank you, Kyle! :D

I have my moments... ;)<br /><br />__________ Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:48 am __________<br /><br />Further information... many people assume that the eggs released from one ovary adhere themselves in that horn, but they can go to either horn. They kind of bounce around in the uterus after fertilization for nine (?) days or so, and then migrate into whichever horn and implant themselves.

Also, in multi-parous animals (rabbits, dogs, cats- any animal that has a "litter"), eggs are released from both ovaries during each cycle. So "dual horn pregnancies" are the norm.

I read another study on rabbit reproduction, and it noted that if one ovary is damaged (or surgically removed), the other ovary will compensate and release more eggs.

Latest posts

Back