Woe of rabbit...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

Keag

Reaction score
I am new to rabbits as far as breeding is concerned. I had a back to back oops litter since I was told all female. I took out the male & then thought I had sexed them correctly. Not! So my Doe had a great litter of 3. Removed Buck when they were born only to be graced with 7 more beauties 30 days later. So, out of the first 3 I separated all 3 when a fight broke out & I originally thought they were all does. Then I separated & tried sexing again & thought all Bucks. The other day I thought I would give a hand at sexing again & I switched my mind about 1 "Buck" and switched sex to Doe. But didn't bother with the other 2. I practiced on my 7 younger ones & sexed 3 Bucks, 4 Does. Now this morning I go out & 1 of my "Bucks" from the first litter is making a nest. Definitely not a Buck so should have kits soon.
Sexing rabbits as a total noob is difficult but I found 1 mistake I was making which was not pressing down to make genitals "pop" out so everything was looking like a male. The more I see & practice I am understanding the sexes.

tambayo

Reaction score
It does take practice and sometimes even experienced breeders make mistakes. But if you have these "problems" you have a colony setup of some sort?
I find pretty much that it is fairly obvious by 8 weeks what they are, at 4 weeks not so much and earlier they are really just to small (would need magnifying glass).

Preitler

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm lucky that we are 3 breeders in my road, most times I get a second opinion when it's time to seperate.

But I discovered a mistake now and then through behaviour, mine get a lot of garden time. Bucks go to a place, dig a fist sized hole, and move on. Does do not do that. When they dig it's a tunnel.

Sapphire16

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
remember taco (slit) with short distance to anus is a doe,
burrito (volcano, round) with more space between is a buck
Some are hard until they get older and some can have a split penis which is really confusing and not a good trait.
There are several really good videos on sexing on You Tube

Keag

Reaction score
Even though I had 1 nesting no pulling of fur & no kits. Which is great. Then I have 2 Does in 1 area & found 1 of them nesting, pulling fur & nothing. Could it be all the Bucks that are surrounding these Does that make them wanting to make nests?

Latest posts