winter water

Help Support RabbitTalk:

bubba man

Reaction score
before work i have to take the ice out of 3 bowls and put new water i`m thinking about emptying their water for the night and filling it up in the a.m. your replies please

MnCanary

Reaction score
Mine drink most of their water at night. I fill them just before dark. I also use large bowls, with more water than they could need, so that the water is slower to freeze. And I keep the water jugs in a hallway, so the water temperature is about 60° F. Large bowls plus room temperature water gives them several hours before the water freezes up.

Preitler

RabbitTalk Supporter
Reaction score
I use electric silicone heating pads, 10W/12V, under their ceramic crocks, connected to an adjustable power supply. Most times 3-5W are enough, if I go to the full 12V it's good for every weather. I insulated the crocks on the side with cardboard.

I think this is the thing that did the most for my own comfort level, totally worth it.

bubba man

Reaction score
my 3 bunnies did great they didn`t even run to the water - just makes WINTER more liveable and yes i do care for my bun`s - i use them for their manure in my compost - oh yea HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Zee-Man

Reaction score
I use https://tinyurl.com/usxs54mf to overcome winter freezing.

I am also working on a system for continuous flow watering. With CFW since the water is always moving it never freezes. The reservoir in my heated house automatically refills. An RV circulating pump moves the water from reservoir to the hutch and back again. I can as many nipples in the hutch as I like. Then I will never have to carry water out, not that it such a chore. Even though I am a good human, I have sometimes forgot.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

northernnevadahollandlops

Reaction score
Our first freeze was the other night. When I came out to check on them with frozen water, my most vocal doe was so mad at me. I've never seen her thump her foot so many times. So now they have a heated water bowl.

arachyd

Reaction score
I never had an automatic watering system. What worked for me was to bring a bucket of warm (not hot) water outside at feeding/watering time and to have 2 water crocks for each hutch - use 1 and keep 1 aside. Time was not on my side when working a full time job so this made it easy. I'd simply go down the row putting frozen crocks in the bucket and filling up the spares. When I was done the frozen crocks were thawed enough that the blocks of ice fell out and they could have a quick rinse and become the spare crocks for the next feeding/watering.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
RabbitTalk Supporter
Reaction score
Good solution, arachyd!

I used to do something similar when I had rabbits in cages. Here's the link to an old post about it.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
RabbitTalk Supporter
Reaction score
I had to give up keeping rabbits several years ago, due to mobility issues.

Yes, the rubber bowl would freeze, but it was larger and the rubber seemed to insulate it better than ceramic. It's also unbreakable. I used to just turn it over and step on it and the ice would pop out. Then I'd refill with warm water. I found that the rabbits enjoyed the warm water, so even though it freezes a bit faster than cold, I gave it to them that way.

We get cold snaps well below Zero F, but they rarely last more than a few days at a time. But it's a rare night from mid-December to the end of February that temperatures don't dip below freezing.

northernnevadahollandlops

Reaction score
I had to give up keeping rabbits several years ago, due to mobility issues.

Yes, the rubber bowl would freeze, but it was larger and the rubber seemed to insulate it better than ceramic. It's also unbreakable. I used to just turn it over and step on it and the ice would pop out. Then I'd refill with warm water. I found that the rabbits enjoyed the warm water, so even though it freezes a bit faster than cold, I gave it to them that way.

We get cold snaps well below Zero F, but they rarely last more than a few days at a time. But it's a rare night from mid-December to the end of February that temperatures don't dip below freezing.
Well I know many of us appreciate your experience and the time you take to answer questions and contribute here!

Latest posts