Wild ride!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chubbybunnies

Reaction score
This last week has had some huge ups and downs! Only being roughly a month into raising rabbits and already 2 litters under our belt, it has been chaotic and amazing!

“Vampire” our black does 3 kits are doing awesome at 2.5 weeks. They’re exploring the cage now and eating free choice grass and trying to tackle hay. I have not seen them eat any pellets yet. They’re doing awesome.

The other doe that had her kits on Sunday. We found one and what appeared to be some eaten kits. We left for a couple hours to come home and find 2 more kits, a still borne and a half eaten kit. We put her kit that we were going to try to foster to vampire back in with the other 2 in a nursing cage by themselves. I was hoping she would take care of them. Monday when my wife came home, she noticed in the other cage in the bedding that there was a 4th kit that we didn’t find when looking even though we both checked thoroughly. We placed that bunny in the cage with the mom as well. They looked to be doing ok from Monday till this morning. When I got home from work today, I found one that looked pretty underweight and 2 deceased kits. I made the hard, but best decision for the kit and put it down. So now we’re back to one surviving kit that looks to have a nice round belly and very active when you move the nesting material around.

We just purchased this doe. Should I give her one more shot? I’m not sure if this is her first litter or what her backstory is. Should she be one and done, or 2 strikes and you’re out? If so, how long should I wait to rebreed her? She seemed to have a stuck kit, but my 2 bucks are smaller than she is, she’s a Flemish cross.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for all the back to back post the last week. It seems like it has been crazy, and I’ve run into almost but not quite all things that can go wrong with raising rabbits in my young month of raising them!

michaels4gardens":8ks9ww1v said:
I use the "3 strikes rule" [usually] ... often, new mothers fail the first time...

I have seen many people use that, that’s why I thought about giving her another chance. I want to rebreed her ASAP, I should have 2 other does that should be kindling within a few day of her if I rebreed her, day today. I don’t want to wait to long because of the summer time heat her in south Florida.

When would be a good time to rebreed? I know a lot of it is up to personal preference, what is everyone’s?

I'd rebreed her after a few days to a week. Part of the problem with this ill-fated litter may have been moving between breeding and kindling, so I would definitely give her another chance.

dfr1973":yo4zl3n6 said:
I'd rebreed her after a few days to a week. Part of the problem with this ill-fated litter may have been moving between breeding and kindling, so I would definitely give her another chance.

Thanks. That was kind of my thoughts behind it. We knew she was bred, but didn’t think she would produce that quickly. Also, I didn’t have a chance to put her in a maternity pen, I had her in a colony with the other female we purchased from the same place so they could quarantine together.

You live and you learn I suppose. The kits were beautiful. All dark on the top with pink bellies. Bummer!

ASAP is my breed back preference. I don't always manage it though but the sooner you can breed back the better does seem to lift.

Three tries are my usual as well for a new to me doe BUT I will sometimes give more tries if it is a breed/color/temperament/body shape I really like or want more of.

Good Luck! :popcorn:

GBov":3pc8damh said:
ASAP is my breed back preference. I don't always manage it though but the sooner you can breed back the better does seem to lift.

Three tries are my usual as well for a new to me doe BUT I will sometimes give more tries if it is a breed/color/temperament/body shape I really like or want more of.

Thanks GBov!

I bred her back about 4 days after she delivered and the day I found her last deceased kit. I also wanted to get them bred pretty close together. I should have 3 does deliver within about 4 days, fingers crossed!! :lol: :lol:

I really would like to say I would give them three times, but I feel like I’m a 2 and done kind of person. My wife really likes these two does because they’re Flemish crosses though, so they may get a pass.... <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:08 pm __________ <br /><br />
GBov":3pc8damh said:

Thanks GBov!

I bred her back about 4 days after she delivered and the day I found her last deceased kit. I also wanted to get them bred pretty close together. I should have 3 does deliver within about 4 days, fingers crossed!! :lol: :lol:

I really would like to say I would give them three times, but I feel like I’m a 2 and done kind of person. My wife really likes these two does because they’re Flemish crosses though, so they may get a pass....

Back