Why New Zealand, Californian kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olbunny

Reaction score
I was recently asked. Why we selected New Zealand and Californian mix.
We believe that the best value for our meat needs is this combination. Beautiful wife didn't like red eyed rabbits so we bought pure breed New Zealand black does. 3. And a purebred Californian buck. Reddy.
Commercial grown rabbits are commonly these breeds. We like the mix so we can try to improve our genetics around those 2 varieties. These breeds are chosen for the best meat to bone ratio and fast growth rate. We don't keep the pelts as they are thin. The comercial growers expect a 5 pound live, 2-1/2 # weight frier at 12 weeks.
To produce prime, tender meat. We can meet these goals. Last year 130 friers. Over 300 pounds of meat.
We use pellets that do not have furtalizer in it. No chemical furtalizer on their hay. 2nd crop,timothy. Also varieties trees n weeds daily. Always fresh water.
We start with the best variety we can get for our needs. But it just starts there. If they are not happy and stress free they will not produce as well. We treat our does like queens. Say hello before you approach the pens n such so they don't startle. Hand feed. Wide variety. But they are also farm rabbits. We breed does with good traits. Large litters of min 8 kits average. Good mamas that will adopt orphan kits. Nice attitude. Keep their pens clean and eat well. A doe that eats well will produce well and her kits can carry that trait. Gain muscle weight fast.
We are keeping our rabbitry slowed down as we are building. This year.

I have all New Zealand breeding stock and they are fed pellets in the morning and orchard grass hay in the evening. The grow outs get pellets and as much hay as they want. All of them get fresh water at least daily and more often when the temperatures are above 90. When the temperatures are that high I also put out battery powered fans and frozen bottles of water. Even with temperatures being over 100 for the past week they are doing remarkably well, except breeding. When it’s this hot the buck gives a couple tries and that’s it and then he lays down next to the female. I guess I will have to go nocturnal to make it work.

Back