WHY is this matching making over sized dead kits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
I have a mutt buck (Bowler) that I crossed with my American Chinchilla doe (Twitchy) last year and got two over sized dead kits with that matching.

Then I matched her with my gold tipped steel New Zealand buck (Goof Ball) who is twice the size of Bowler and got four normal sized kits. Two died from having been born on the wire in winter but she was a good mum to the remaining two so they lived just fine.

Her next litter was by Goof Ball as well and gave me a nice, albeit small, litter.

Due to needing to cage Bowler - he quite often runs round the yard - I tossed him in with Twitchy last month.

Yesterday she produced one over sized dead kit. :(

What's up with that?

GBov, I can't tell you exactly what the problem is...

but I have seen the same thing once in cats. Very over sized, stillborn kittens from one particular pairing.

The only thing I can guess... most weird lethal genes are recessive, so perhaps just by chance Twitchy and Bowler are each carrying some sort of rare gene that when they come together causes it?

uhurubuns, I was thinking the same thing. Its really sad but, as they say, life goes on.

Now to chose between gold tipped steel, red, blue or red eyed white New Zealand bucks for her next try.

Back