Why Is it Unfair to be willing to barter?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone asked how much I wanted for a couple of rabbits that I am unsure on what to do for price.

I said for what I consider pet quality rabbits I get from $20-90, and that I've been told that sometimes I undersell my rabbits, and was told that it was unfair to leave it open like that.

I went on to add that I'm willing to barter rabbits, but I'm not willing to give them away (except in very rare circumstances).

I think people get confused by flexible pricing ..
I would say my standard fee is XX - but for certainly special rabbits I might ask (less) or (more)

as well I'm always willing to consider a barter for something of equal value

if somebody says that's unfair I think they are smoking something ;)

that is very true - they think barter is a give away .. just can't catch the concept that equal value is exchanged

still puzzling over the "just pets" comment

Just pets, as in not of breeding or show quality. I see it as unfair that say one person could get a $10.00 pet from me, and then someone else had to pay $50.00 for a pet. So if I have a set price no one feels like they're getting ripped off.

I have no idea why someone would say it was unfair to barter. I love the option and I would totally try to work something out with you for a couple of your harlies if you lived in my area so I could try the breed out. :) I wouldn't worry about that one person too much.

Best of luck,

Lauren

I guess I can see why someone would be hmm...unhappy...and say it's 'unfair' to ask them to barter or set a price for you. I'm one of those that has a hard time pricing my animals. When I meet another person like me, and try to buy something from them, I see the frustration of it.
me: "well, what will you take for them?" ...
them: "oh...make me an offer". ....
me: "I don't want to offend you with lowballing...what kind of figure were you wanting?" ....
them: "oh, what you got for trade?"
me, thinking :how the heck am I supposed to offer somethign for barter if I don't have a clue what kind of PRICE RANGE they want?"

see the problem? :lol:

went thru that recently on some eggs. I finally got fed up and gave my price I'd pay. (it didn't end well)

the thing is I give people a ball park usually (and in this case I did), like...I would like to get $50 for her, if they counter offer with... I'll give you $40 (i'm happy) or if I say,.. I have NO clue what I should sell her for, most of my rabbits I sell for $20-40, what do you seriously think she's worth on the breeder market?

I've never negotiated prices on rabbits, but from what I've learned at collectibles markets and yard sales, the seller always needs to have a figure in mind. You may be willing to take much less, but as a seller you need to put a figure out there. You can always say something like: "I'm asking $50 for this rabbit but I'm willing to take a little less in this case because a) I need the cage space. B) I can see you will give him a good home." Or any other reason that lets the buyer make an offer. Buyer, scenting a bargain, says: "How about $30?" "How about $40?" you reply, which is likely what you expected all along. But you pretty much have to throw out a starting price.

I love bartering. I got 24 fence post holes dug free in exchange for an aromatherapy blend and 2 fryers. I got the help I needed getting rafters up on my coop for a few bags of fresh vegies and a jar of pickled garlic basil green beans. I got 4 bags of wood stove pellets (I use it in litter boxes) for 2 dozen eggs. I've traded a broody hen for a Americauna. I borrow an incubator for two of the hatched chicks, and so on and so on. It takes a bit to figure out what's fair and what's not but in the end, if you both get what you both need without anyone having to bit the bullet, it's a fair deal. For example, the stove pellets weren't working well for the fellow and I need them. Two dozen eggs I can sell for 5 bucks, 4 bags of stove pellets puts me back $20 plus tax. But the fellow can't buy pastured fresh eggs for less than $5 a dozen and he got the pellets at half price. So even though it looks unbalanced, both of us got a great deal. The incubator, well I don't have to buy one so that saves me a bundle and it doesn't cost her a thing to lend it to me and she gets two more chickens. If I can't barter, I have a fixed price and I don't negotiate(fertile eggs and worm casings), I ask for the going rate. And I do that for two reasons, I don't haggle well and end up with a price I do not like and I can always use the items myself if I can't get my price.

Devon's Mom Lauren":1agz90fe said:
One would think only the "goverment" would think bartering unfair lol They can't tax you on it!!!
Exactly! I think the only people who think it's "unfair" are those who think that you'll be able to undercut them by bartering with someone else, and then they can't command the high prices for their stock that they're used to. (They don't realize that it's a completely different market, anyway.)

It is your responsibility to provide the people.Looking to trade things like atlantic wreck boat rides for my instructor services.For pet rabbits I have a set price because well, they're just pets.

One of the main reasons I am really looking at getting into rabbits concerns barter . If the economy takes a bad turn food will be king . BUT , there is another type of barter which could closer mimic the scenarios you have been discussing . That would be "Barter Dollars". In that case there is a set price for something and you pay me or I pay you in "dollars" that we all accept without question PROVIDED both reach an agreement . You will accept no less than $XX for a rabbit . You will give no more than $XX for a sack of carrots . This is the same as going to the store .... except there is NO store .
Bottom line: You have an "extra rabbit and I have an abundance of artichokes . We reach an agreement based on how much each side wants and will give . In these cases we are talking meat rabbits and NOT Grand Champions . Your present day scenarios concern things of value based on a desire (really cool item) and not survival (I REALLY am hungry). Although it could come down to that in a time shorter than we all would like . I'm not saying that Armegeddon is looming on the horizon BUT I will eat regardless . It is a good idea to have a price in mind when bartering for (apples and oranges) a show rabbit for a La Moge vase or a Hummel figurine . Each have a definite value albeit the vase or figurine can be searched out whereas the rabbit has a value to YOU .
We are still in a time where a failed deal is only an inconvenience . With all that being said there is one fact that will withstand the test of time . Barter is a PAIN most of the time . You MUST have what they want and they MUST have what you want . That's why money came about in the first place .

I dont think its unfair.I sometimes ask if people can negotiate the price.

Called on the local economy in the network thought it had figured a way to stop some concern about the economy bad: barter. On Saturday, the opponent of the kicking and the second in a series of swap planned in Berkeley Springs State Park.

Latest posts

Back