Why Is it Unfair to be willing to barter?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know for myself that if someone says to me, "what do you think it is worth?" It makes me instantly anxious....I would rather them flat out give me a price, even if it is way too high. At least it is a starting point.... I think bartering is a skill that has gotten rusty for most people. I think it is a great way to get everyone what they want. I give you a bun, you give me a chicken....I give you a load of manure, you give me seeds to plant in my garden...etc. I think you just have to be really clear on what your stuff is worth to YOU and then go from there. JMO...

Devon's Mom Lauren":frnatl89 said:
One would think only the "goverment" would think bartering unfair lol They can't tax you on it!!!
Actually, the only way they can't tax you on it is if the barter is even--- and in the case of an audit-- you kinda have to be able to prove that the stone wall in your front yard (including the labor) is exactly equal to the fair market value of the broken down jalopy that sat in the back yard for 10 years.Then there is the issue of part cash, part barter arrangements----

I think bartering is perfectly fair. The majority of my rabbits came home through trades because my mom told me I couldn't buy any more. She said nothing about trading.

I don't like to barter with price. I just say "what is the lest you will take?" and leave it at that.
now I LOVE to trade. it is easier to part with something other then cash.

there is a website that was up at one time, that you could exchange stuff on, and earn 'credit' for stuff.
but I forget what it was called.

tailwagging":1ot5h83a said:
I don't like to barter with price. I just say "what is the lest you will take?" and leave it at that.
now I LOVE to trade. it is easier to part with something other then cash.

TW, bartering IS trading...I think you are confusing it with "haggling" where I would say $45 and you would say $20, then I say $40 and you say $25, etc. With a barter, I would give you an item in exchange for another item of equal value from you.

Hey, I love to barter... I'm broke, but I have meat rabbits, a garden, and a stockpile of free goods from couponing.
I need electrical work done by a pro... and so a few dressed out rabbits, some veggies, a dozen large garden plants and a load of toiletries will be traded for moving a 220v outlet over 8 feet, installing a new outlet in the bunny shed, and tinkering with the electric fireplace. We're both happy.

I am trading manure to a friend for veggies and herbs. I give her a bag of poopy and she gives me a bag of tomatoes. She has grown some beautiful Romas this year and I almost feel like I'm cheating her. Of course, maybe we can credit the quality of the tomatoes with the quality of the manure going into them. ;)

Back