Why do Kits get stuck?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitsOfTheCreek

Netherland Dwarf Breeder & Well-known Member
Reaction score
I have a Doe who I'm not breeding anymore (unless she has an alive one today or tonight), but she would get a Kit (Or even two) stuck almost every litter. She's been bred about 4 or 5 times I think.
First litter: Bred to an unrelated Buck, no stuck Kits
Second - third (Or fourth) litter: Bred to her father, two Kits stuck in one and one stuck in the other(s)
Fourth (Or fifth): Bred to her father again but no stuck Kits

All of them have been dead

I have a Doe who I'm not breeding anymore (unless she has an alive one today or tonight), but she would get a Kit (Or even two) stuck almost every litter. She's been bred about 4 or 5 times I think.
First litter: Bred to an unrelated Buck, no stuck Kits
Second - third (Or fourth) litter: Bred to her father, two Kits stuck in one and one stuck in the other(s)
Fourth (Or fifth): Bred to her father again but no stuck Kits

All of them have been dead
The dwarf breeds, especially those with large, blocky heads - e.g. Netherland Dwarfs and Holland Lops - seem to have a tendency to have trouble with stuck kits. Not only are the heads the hardest part to deliver, but very small does also have very small frames, which is not helpful in kindling.

Another issue which I've seen in both large and small breeds is that when a doe is fat, she can have all sorts of problems kindling, including stuck kits. This tends to get worse over time unless the doe is re-managed to become well-conditioned and slim.

The dwarf breeds *can* be good mothers, but breeding good mothers only is the way to make that more common. I always liked to keep false dwarf does as breeders in our Mini Rex and Polish. They usually had bigger litters, and no trouble kindling. If your doe has never yet had a live kit, I think you'd be wise to discontinue breeding her.

The only caveat is that if she's been fat all along, it might not be a fair judgment, in which case if I really liked her I would slim her down and try one more time. Feel her shoulders - if she's flabby at all, she's probably overweight.

The only caveat is that if she's been fat all along, it might not be a fair judgment, in which case if I really liked her I would slim her down and try one more time. Feel her shoulders - if she's flabby at all, she's probably overweight.
No she's not fat

I should also mention she's the only Doe of mine that has had Kits get stuck, the only other time was when a Doe had an overly large kit

If you turn this doe on her back, how are the hind feet positioned? Perfectly straight like : = or like a V (ish) shape? It is an indication of how close the hip joints are together and therefore how much room the pelvic canal has that runs between and is what limits how big a kit can be and pass trough there to be born.

If you turn this doe on her back, how are the hind feet positioned? Perfectly straight like : = or like a V (ish) shape? It is an indication of how close the hip joints are together and therefore how much room the pelvic canal has that runs between and is what limits how big a kit can be and pass trough there to be born.
I'll have to check when I get home

16730430369382658246050658630089.jpg
Looks V shaped to me

Latest posts

Back