Why are breeders hard to deal with?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachsRabbits

Reaction score
I've noticed in the past few months. Majority of the rabbit breeders are hard to deal with anymore. I been trying to get a new herd buck for months and it seems most of the people give the runaround or don't want to sell to me. Granted it's not really a competitive breed here but I've talked to people from other states and they all seem like this honestly. It seems like a majority of them buy from pictures online and get them transported. Not me I am a hands-on person and like to feel the rabbit. It's a fairly expensive breed as well. Maybe I'm too friendly I co- breed and trade rabbits with my very good friend but I was taught you help your friends out. Any thoughts?

Everyone has a different view on things and you never know what will irritate a particular person. Lack of information or unnecessary information they disagree with. If you don't talk like you have enough knowledge of the animal or you ask too many detailed questions when they are busy some may just not feel like dealing with you. It's so easy to blow people of on the internet. Although, I did get basically kicked out of someone's house and black listed from the breed of dog I was initially interested in because I admitted to raw feeding and how I wanted to get a meat grinder that would handle rabbit. It can happen in person too.

I have a "closed" farm and don't let people, even buyers, on the property for biosecurity reasons.

Thankfully Animal Rights Activits (ARA's) are not much of an issue here - yet ;) but it is my understanding they are a bigger problem in USA and many people don't want strangers to know too much about their rabbitries and this maybe some of the reasons you are getting brushed off

I'd recommend you arrange to meet sellers at shows and with the fall fair season starting there should be plenty of opportunity to mingle with breeders and get a hands on experience with their stock

What issues are you dealing with, exactly? You specifically mention breeders buying through pictures - this can be a couple of issues. First, many breeders deal with people who are interested in rabbits but then never show up or repeatedly reschedule the pick up date. Many breeders now require a deposit or even full payment before they will hold on to a rabbit. From a buyer's perspective, it can be frustrating when you want to see the rabbit before you pay for it. From a breeder's perspective, it's frustrating when people don't keep their word about buying an animal and that deposit helps ensure you're dealing with a serious individual. Second, like Dood, many breeders do not invite guests to their rabbitry for a variety of reasons. It is important to respect that. You could politely request that the breeder meet you at a neutral location with some rabbits for you to choose from. I know for me, if someone insists upon seeing my rabbitry with threat of not buying, I just won't sell to them.

Some more information might help us help you: how are you approaching these breeders and what is their response? What breed is it (some breeds have a higher percentage of crazies than others)?

At this point I just shrug and go "people.." on both ends. Whether I'm buying or selling. Move on, find someone else who doesn't get irritated by your personality or isn't having a bad day of dealing with people. It isn't worth it. I don't *need* to buy or sell that particular animal bad enough to placate buyers or sellers. I'll just drive an extra hour and get what I want or I actually ended up permanently keeping one chinchilla and right now her sister is with her because the buyer stopped communication after continually asking for pictures for 2months. The rest of my animals when someone backs out they just go to freezer camp. The problem with the dog breed I initially was interested in though is that there's a group of breeders mostly in one area who all communicate so piss one off and I can't buy from any. Not the same with rabbits in nearly all cases.

akane":3tpzf7vb said:
The problem with the dog breed I initially was interested in though is that there's a group of breeders mostly in one area who all communicate so piss one off and I can't buy from any.

Get a friend to buy some for you! :lol:

Why are breeders hard to deal with?

Most people don't have the first clue on proper etiquette when it comes
to buying stock directly from a breeder. It's a sad fact, but very true.

Oftentimes the first contact is via phone conversation. Keep it short,
direct, and to the point. Please, no late evening calls, and don't
call a half-dozen times to chit-chat. The breeder has more than
likely had a very long day and they're tired, wanting to relax and
take it easy.

Make and appointment and agree upon an arrival time that's suitable
for both party's. Tend to agree 'more' with what's workable for the breeder
rather than yourself. It works more to your favor if you do this.
Let the breeder know how many people are coming. This is critical and
should not be overlooked.
Don't let them think, or assume, it will be
only yourself coming, then show up with a carload of people. Among which
are some youngsters that may or may not behave. The breeder may well
have thousands tied up in stock and equipment, including does that are
close to kindling... The last thing needed in a rabbitry are disruptions
and loud noises.

DO NOT, FOR ANY REASON, BE LATE. If you are, call and offer
to reschedule if your being late will conflict with the Breeder's time-line.

Don't show up unannounced and expect to be well received.

Don't argue price... know the price prior to going and expect to pay it.

These are all issues I've dealt with over the past 40+ years of raising
rabbits. There's a lot more, but these are some main issues a breeder
deals with on a continual basis.

Remember, he's got the rabbits that you want..... Be Nice. :D

Grumpy.

I find the best way to arrange rabbit purchases is through email and not phone - not only does email give you more time to think things through, you have a written record of what was agreed upon.
For the most part it is the buyer's duty to get things (transport, etc) arranged in a rabbit sale. If the rabbit is in another state and you want to feel it hands on... you'll have to go to them. If you can find a show nearby, that's a good way to meet a neutral place where the breeder will likely bring many different animals, and where you can hear the judge's opinion if they're entered, and make something out of your trip by bringing some animals to show too if you want.

I strongly echo what Grumpy had to say...and will add a few more items:

Leave your kids under 12 at home. I can't remember the last time I saw small children that were well-behaved.
Leave your kids over 12 at home unless they will be caring for the rabbit. (Or else leave them in the car where they can keep texting other kids that don't want to be where they are.)
Leave your other pets at home. If I have to explain why or if that offends you, then go somewhere else.
Don't open pens or touch rabbits without first asking for and receiving permission.
Bring transport cages or pet carriers in which to take your rabbits home. If you're not sure how many you'll need, ask first.
Don't be offended if the breeder you talked to in January doesn't remember you or your conversation in May.

The less rural the rabbitry, the greater the risk of being attacked by ARA's. Most serious breeders have thousands of dollars invested in their herd and even more in equipment and facilities. An increasing number of rabbitries are going "closed". I know of one breeder that only sells to new customers if they've been referred by a previous customer. How sad that folks have to take activities that are perfectly legal "underground" like criminals.

As Grumpy said, "Most people don't have the first clue on proper etiquette". Courtesy, respect, common sense. Where have they gone?

Zass said it best: Breeders are hard to deal with because buyers are even more difficult to deal with.

End of rant.

I had someone emailing at 12:30 am and ask if they could get their bunny from me then. Um no. My kids are sleeping, my husband is sleeping, the bunnies should be sleeping (I know they don't do that-but just sayin)! I don't allow people into my rabbitry, and we meet all buyers in public parking lots to do transactions. This has eliminated a lot of headache with young children, pets, or unwanted problems coming onto my property. It also doesnt give any undercover ARA's a peek at what I have going on. I don't have anything to hide, but I would hate to be turned in by someone looking to shut down local breeders just because they want to......

It's just verbal conversations via E-mail and Messenger. I don't think I come off rude. The breed is English Lops. I fell for them but I've been looking for one for months. I was always going to meet in public places. The people seem rude and cocky in general imo. I was looking to possibly buy off pictures. I chatted with a youth breeder and it turned into this:
Me: Decent depth but your hand is over the shoulders.
Them: I told you it's not a good pic and they're in the uglies.
Me: That's fine.
Them: Listen, I'm trying to help you. And to my understanding you don't even own an English. So I really don't need your comments on my rabbits.
Me:Thank you. I'm sorry.
I don't understand why I apolized. I don't think I was rude. Even my friend who raises them won't help me. I love this breed but hate the people (but that's my personal experience) so I give up.
What do you think?
-Zach

Yeah, those that I end up having problems with I often don't even get past email or FB messages both with buyer or seller. Many are quite sensitive and you only have to word one thing wrong and they won't deal with you again. I'd prefer not to use the phone at all. I usually give my phone number last thing before finalizing picking up the animal. Every now and then having phone numbers exchanged saves a trip because the gps gets confused, the area is confusing (one person's driveway and house access was not on the road of their address) or timing gets messed up by things out of the control of either party.

On the opposite end of the spectrum are the people who just want you to message when you are ready to come out so they can say if they are busy and hold all discussions in person. I hate these people because you can't plan anything ahead with them and I don't want to irritate them by constantly asking at a time they aren't available.

I dont think you were being rude, but simply wanting to see what you were buying and letting the person know the picture wasnt adequate. Maybe you could have simply asked to get another picture if possible, in order to see better since you were trying to buy off pictures alone. Thats about the only thing I could see you may have done differently. It is hard to read emotions thru email, and I believe this breeder became offended (obviously). It may not have happenend if you had been talking in person, as they would have seen your body language, heard your tone, etc......These are common communication problems when it comes to emails, texts, even comments on RT. I tried to get someone to take pics of a Bucks genitals once, because they said he sprayed in such a way he covered himself. I wanted to be sure before I bought him that he didn't have a split penis or some type of issue down there. I was told by a reputable breeder that if they spray all over like that, there could be a problem. The breeder refused but did say there was nothing wrong with him down there. Needless to say that sale didn't happen.....

I think probably your comment about the photo might have set them off. Of course, if they are going to be offended that easily, I think you're better off finding someone else to deal with. It might be easier to attend a few shows and talk to breeders in person. Even if you don't buy at the show, you are making contacts that you can refer back to later.

AprilW":2okla50h said:
I think probably your comment about the photo might have set them off. Of course, if they are going to be offended that easily, I think you're better off finding someone else to deal with. It might be easier to attend a few shows and talk to breeders in person. Even if you don't buy at the show, you are making contacts that you can refer back to later.

I agree with AprilW.... I don't show (yet), but I have found that going to shows, meeting people, talking to them about their bunnies. (It is more listening) If you get a breeder to start talking about their bunnies..... well, clear your calendar....lol :popcorn:

If you are patient, listen, ask good questions... you will find a breeder that will work with you.

I stopped and asked a young girl about her English Lopps at a show... she was so excited to talk about her breed, the rabbit she was grooming and answer my questions about her rabbits. I wasn't looking to buy, just to learn. (English Lopps weren't for me, but they were beautiful bunnies)

Latest posts

Back