Why ARAs think there are no good breeders.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just get so confused. Can everyone look up the shelter websites where they're at? I don't seen an overpopulation of domestic rabbits anywhere. Americans supposedly own 73 million dogs and 90 million cats, compared to 5 million rabbits. Rabbits are quite low on the list of animals that show up in shelters, going by those numbers.

My city's humane society only has up for adoption dogs, cats, and two horses. No rabbits or small furballs, no aquarium animals, no reptiles, and no farm animals. The specialty rabbit rescue group of my state has only sixteen rabbits up for adoption as far as I know. Considering the Golden Retriever rescue has about that many dogs up for adoption right now, I'm going to call BS on the fact that rabbits are filling up the shelters. The specialty rabbit rescue group only has mutts up for adoption and what appear to be pet quality Netherland Dwarfs. There are no ear tattoos I can see.

I just really don't understand the squeaky wheel ARAs sudden obsession with rabbits. Maybe I just learned about it because I'm here, but I honestly do not get it. There is very much not really a problem? Except for one "breeder" who is selling out of rabbits (thank goodness) and that secretary from Hell, I have only met kind rabbit breeders who love their animals and have sold me healthy, well-balanced animals. It's a good, if sometimes catty, community. Even rabbit mutts get taken care of far better than most purebred dogs around here. I admit I almost made a call after seeing the squalid pit a few Mountain Cur puppies were in on Craigslist. It's one thing for a dog to accidentally get into the trash, it's another thing to take pictures of your litter in a pee-stained, plywood-and-dirt pen. o_O -shakes self-

There's a rabbit rescue near me that has over 150 rabbits.

I've been tempted to go "inspect" it. It's out of someone's house - far too small to house THAT many rabbits (in accordance with "rescue" philosophy of course).

Loved the vid. Don't feel I a bad breeder. 15 kits in my colney last week now 15 kits in the freezer, none got away :lol:

There is a local rabbit rescue. They do not allow information about the number of animals crammed into the owner's LONE TRAILER to be given out. She is a "small animals/exotics" rescue, so she has hamsters, rabbits, rats, mice, birds...oh, and she has some cats, too. But those are totally just pets. That she occasionally sells. I mean...adopts out. Via selling. :roll:

Last I heard, there were hundreds of animals in her single trailer home. I refuse to enter the property due to the RAMPANT disease issues. She's been reported as a hoarder to the city before...they never give a crap though. Got bigger issues to worry about...such as the massive overload of dogs and cats in shelters. :lol:

I never hear the ARA going after people with aquariums (other than something like Seaworld) lol. How about the pet stores that have 1000's of feeders in a tank. I can't remember the last time I was in a Walmart and didn't see dead fish stuck to filter intakes. Do ARA ever picket outside an Orkin business?

Back