Who here is active in the ARBA?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might think about joining anyway, even if you can't/don't show. There's no time obligation for membership at all - no meetings or anything - and you will get a nice guidebook to rabbit raising, plus a truly excellent (and beautiful) color bi-monthly magazine with articles on just about every topic you can think of relating to rabbits, from breeds to breeding to health issues to recipes. You can see more here: Home

The other reason is that, while the membership fee is not large - a single annual membership is only $20 - it helps support the social and political work the ARBA is doing to protect rabbit raising from well-intentioned but ignorant and/or politically correct attacks from all sides, including groups like PETA, overzealous city planners and other "Karens." In addition, the ARBA is working with federal, state and local health and veterinary organizations to help them understand the RHVD problem, bringing the unique perspective of rabbit breeders to the table and focusing on solving the problem, rather than letting it become a reason used to shut down the industry/hobby.
The book you get with a new membership is wonderful and I’m so glad I joined. Very educational!

Me and hubby are both members. I was a member a few years ago and we registered our rabbitry recently. Planning on joining the Rex club and the Flemish Giant club and possibly becoming members of a couple locallish clubs. Our closest show is 45 minutes away but they do one show a year.
The rest are overnight shows in northwest Arkansas, Louisiana, Kentucky, etc. For us, the hotels and gas will be the most expensive part of showing. Well, also buying carriers, paying someone to watch my other rabbits because I can't depend on family.
We are trying to plan out our show season. It's hard because hubby is only home on weekends and I know he won't want to waste his weekend showing rabbits so I think I have one planned for February, one in late March, maybe April then that's it right now. I know a breeder who is at a different show, in different states nearly every weekend. We have too much going on to show like that. We still have a lot to learn about showing.
My sister just started a rex project, then I went off to convention and got to see rex win BIS in youth and best of group in open for the first time in history so the rex community is super excited!
You might think about joining anyway, even if you can't/don't show. There's no time obligation for membership at all - no meetings or anything - and you will get a nice guidebook to rabbit raising, plus a truly excellent (and beautiful) color bi-monthly magazine with articles on just about every topic you can think of relating to rabbits, from breeds to breeding to health issues to recipes. You can see more here: Home

The other reason is that, while the membership fee is not large - a single annual membership is only $20 - it helps support the social and political work the ARBA is doing to protect rabbit raising from well-intentioned but ignorant and/or politically correct attacks from all sides, including groups like PETA, overzealous city planners and other "Karens." In addition, the ARBA is working with federal, state and local health and veterinary organizations to help them understand the RHVD problem, bringing the unique perspective of rabbit breeders to the table and focusing on solving the problem, rather than letting it become a reason used to shut down the industry/hobby.
yes I have to agree with this, the resources in just the magazine they send out is worth it, I've collected them over the years and always give a big box to the new breeders I mentor and it always helps kick start them. Personally we have shows in 4 hours and closer quite often since california has BVRA, CRCS, MRCA, and a few other clubs as you head north and south

While I do agree that assuming people know what an acronym means, in this context, if you don't know what it means, you likely aren't active in it... so that kind of answers the question on it's own.
While that may be so, the overarching membership in the forum assumes that the person reading it has an interest. Several posts in this thread express exactly that. Facilitating understanding is presumably goal of anyone in ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association) and this forum.

While I do agree that assuming people know what an acronym means, in this context, if you don't know what it means, you likely aren't active in it... so that kind of answers the question on it's own.

While that may be so, the overarching membership in the forum assumes that the person reading it has an interest. Several posts in this thread express exactly that. Facilitating understanding is presumably goal of anyone in ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association) and this forum.
I'm new to rabbit world. I appreciate this group because folks here are so generous in their efforts to educate and support one another, including us newbies. I'm gathering that ARBA has guidelines on breeding? Is this only relevant for those showing rabbits or does it have a broader roll? Would a small family meat rabbit operation have some benefit in looking them up? Thanks.

I'm new to rabbit world. I appreciate this group because folks here are so generous in their efforts to educate and support one another, including us newbies. I'm gathering that ARBA has guidelines on breeding? Is this only relevant for those showing rabbits or does it have a broader roll? Would a small family meat rabbit operation have some benefit in looking them up? Thanks.
Absolutely, 100%! The ARBA is a national organization that aims to support rabbit breeders/owners/fanciers in all areas of rabbit ownership. That includes showing, meat breeding, fiber production, pet breeding and/or pet ownership.

When you join you will get a nice book "Official Guide Book: Raising Better Rabbits & Cavies" plus a truly excellent and beautiful color bi-monthly magazine with articles on just about every topic you can think of relating to rabbits, from breeds to breeding to health issues to recipes. You can see details here: Join the ARBA

As I wrote earlier on this thread, another reason to join is that while the membership fee is not large - a single annual membership is only $20 - it helps support the social and political work the ARBA is doing to protect rabbit raising from well-intentioned but ignorant and/or politically correct attacks from all sides, including groups like PETA, overzealous city planners and other "Karens." In addition, the ARBA is working with federal, state and local health and veterinary organizations to help them understand the RHVD problem, bringing the unique perspective of rabbit breeders to the table and focusing on solving the problem, rather than letting it become a reason used to shut down the industry/hobby.

Last edited:
Absolutely, 100%! The ARBA is a national organization that aims to support rabbit breeders/owners/fanciers in all areas of rabbit ownership. That includes showing, meat breeding, pet breeding and/or pet ownership.

When you join you will get a nice book "Official Guide Book: Raising Better Rabbits & Cavies" plus a truly excellent and beautiful color bi-monthly magazine with articles on just about every topic you can think of relating to rabbits, from breeds to breeding to health issues to recipes. You can see details here: Join the ARBA

As I wrote earlier on this thread, another reason to join is that while the membership fee is not large - a single annual membership is only $20 - it helps support the social and political work the ARBA is doing to protect rabbit raising from well-intentioned but ignorant and/or politically correct attacks from all sides, including groups like PETA, overzealous city planners and other "Karens." In addition, the ARBA is working with federal, state and local health and veterinary organizations to help them understand the RHVD problem, bringing the unique perspective of rabbit breeders to the table and focusing on solving the problem, rather than letting it become a reason used to shut down the industry/hobby.
Wow, I had no idea raising rabbits was such a contentious topic! Ugh! Ok, I will go sign up with ARBA right now. Thanks so much for explaining this all!

Absolutely, 100%! The ARBA is a national organization that aims to support rabbit breeders/owners/fanciers in all areas of rabbit ownership. That includes showing, meat breeding, pet breeding and/or pet ownership.

Okay, I just went over to the site to sign up. Why do they want to know all about our family: # adults, # kids, everyone's names, including the kids? Physical address I get, as they need it for billing and mailing their magazine. But it feels a little eeewy. When it comes to homesteading we try to keep a somewhat low profile...

Okay, I just went over to the site to sign up. Why do they want to know all about our family: # adults, # kids, everyone's names, including the kids? Physical address I get, as they need it for billing and mailing their magazine. But it feels a little eeewy. When it comes to homesteading we try to keep a somewhat low profile...
I feel the same about the low profile issue and understand your concern. It sounds like you went to the "Family Membership" form, but for your purposes, signing up for a "Single Membership" would do the trick. Single Adult Membership You'll just enter your name (or husband's name, or whomever you want on the membership) and contact information. You'll get all the same benefits. It's the least expensive option, as well. The ARBA doesn't need/want to know how many people are involved in your operation.

However, if you're signing up for a family membership, they ask for everyone's name because they issue each member a unique ARBA membership number, and they ask for the kids' birthdates because they need to verify the kids are kids (by their DOB). Also, the price of membership changes depending on how many people are becoming members.

The main reason to have each person get a membership number is for showing/registration purposes, which at this point sounds like it's not something you need. But FYI, to get purebred rabbits registered (entered in the ARBA studbook), the owner has to be an ARBA member. Second, to apply for a Registrar's or Judge's License, a person has to have been an ARBA member for at least three consecutive years. If any of your kids really get interested in rabbits and showing, you can always add them later (that's how we did it).

Last edited:
I am not a member in ARBA heard I am still able to show in their shows wondering if that’s still true. I will most likely be a member when there is a show. But just wondering if there is a show before that.
Just thought I would update that I am an ARBA member. I have been for about a month and am going to a show this Saturday :). Thank you guys for reasons that pushed me to be a member!!

Just thought I would update that I am an ARBA member. I have been for about a month and am going to a show this Saturday :). Thank you guys for reasons that pushed me to be a member!!
That is fantastic. Please let us know how it goes. I am just now considering joining the ARBA and doing a show or two just for fun. Are you by chance going to the Stevenson show?

Glad to find this thread. I have just been considering trying a show or two. I will look into ARBA in the next few day. I know nothing about showing and honestly can't even pose my rabbits very well. But, I have to start somewhere.
What are some things you wish you would have know in your first show days? What would be your advice to a total newbie for showing? I appreciate your input.
Here is a picture of my 9 month old buck, Patterson, that I am considering for show. What do you think? I also have a pedigreed light gray Flemish Giant buck that I am considering.

Attachments

• 20230210_145215.jpg
    20230210_145215.jpg
    941.1 KB · Views: 0
I feel the same about the low profile issue and understand your concern. It sounds like you went to the "Family Membership" form, but for your purposes, signing up for a "Single Membership" would do the trick. Single Adult Membership You'll just enter your name (or husband's name, or whomever you want on the membership) and contact information. You'll get all the same benefits. It's the least expensive option, as well. The ARBA doesn't need/want to know how many people are involved in your operation.

However, if you're signing up for a family membership, they ask for everyone's name because they issue each member a unique ARBA membership number, and they ask for the kids' birthdates because they need to verify the kids are kids (by their DOB). Also, the price of membership changes depending on how many people are becoming members.

The main reason to have each person get a membership number is for showing/registration purposes, which at this point sounds like it's not something you need. But FYI, to get purebred rabbits registered (entered in the ARBA studbook), the owner has to be an ARBA member. Second, to apply for a Registrar's or Judge's License, a person has to have been an ARBA member for at least three consecutive years. If any of your kids really get interested in rabbits and showing, you can always add them later (that's how we did it).
Okay,
I totally get. It all makes good sense now! Thank you again for your detailed thoughts. I am headed over to become a member. 😄

When I started breeding I was 12 and this website was my main resource. I am now 18, well established, the youth director for my national club, judging showmanship, and skipped ahead into showing in open and placed well at convention. It's crazy on how many rabbit breeders are unaware of the ARBA and just joining helped me improve my bloodlines and gave me such a strong community. I'm curious on who here is also actively showing? I feel like there are a lot of backyard breeders here, that's where I started and this site had the most. Granted that was a few years ago
I am an ARBA member, as well as having my rabbitry listed with them. I am still learning about showing. I have shown once, last fall, and plan to show again at 3 events later this spring. I raise Silver Fox.

Unlike you, I did not grow up raising rabbits, or any kind of animal. I just started a couple of years ago. As luck would have it, a gal just like you lives only 5 minutes from me. She also happens to be an ARBA registrar and she has helped me tremendously with my herd. I now have all of my breeders registered with ARBA, having met the SOP, save one who isn't simply because she's lilac. But she is a great mom and was key to helping the weight of my herd. I've learned a lot about breeding pairs against their strengths and weaknesses, etc. The herd has gone from being consistently underweight to a herd making weight regularly, from a herd with wonky hind legs to beautiful straight legs, from narrow shoulders to nice width shoulders. We are now working on gaining better depth.

I find the hardest thing about rabbit husbandry being the decision of who should stay and who should go. It's really easy to end up with more rabbits than you ever intended, especially when you are working on genetic improvements.

What puzzles me most about rabbitry is how some people claim to know at the tender age of 4 weeks whether a rabbit is a cull or not. I agree, sometimes it is quite obvious. But mostly, at least to me, from a quality of structure (type?) 4 weeks is a bit of a challenge to judge. I would love to get better at judging type. By 12 to 16 weeks, I can mostly tell, but even at 8 weeks I struggle with knowing if the type (I'd say in the area of peak placement and depth). Then, with silver fox, you have the last caveat of the coat meeting its unique standards. Juvenile coats can be tricky.

That is fantastic. Please let us know how it goes. I am just now considering joining the ARBA and doing a show or two just for fun. Are you by chance going to the Stevenson show?
Thank you, I totally forgot to say I’m not showing lol, just going to see how shows are laid out and such. That’s what I’m doing lol just got fun for right now I am going to hopefully show in the Jonesboro Arkansas show March 31st and April 1st. Nope, I am going to one in Neosho Missouri. :)

Glad to find this thread. I have just been considering trying a show or two. I will look into ARBA in the next few day. I know nothing about showing and honestly can't even pose my rabbits very well. But, I have to start somewhere.
One of the best ways to learn a lot very quickly is to go to shows and listen to the judges, whether or not you enter any rabbits. In fact, the first time I'd suggest not taking rabbits, or at least not more than one. Especially if it's a double or triple show, the bustle of getting rabbits where they need to be can result in the whole experience feeling like a blur. :)

What are some things you wish you would have know in your first show days? What would be your advice to a total newbie for showing? I appreciate your input.
There was a different thread a while back that covered a lot of this:
https://rabbittalk.com/threads/going-to-a-rabbit-show-but-not-showing.35964/
It's been a really long time since my first show... that's back in the mists of memory... but here are some of the things I tell the youth who are just starting out.

1) It's supposed to be fun! You probably won't win Best in Show at your first show (in fact it may not happen for several years or more, maybe not ever), so don't get disheartened if your rabbit doesn't do well. Just go with an open mind and open ears and try to soak up what you see and hear. Bring your SOP and refer to it after you've watched the judging of a particular breed. You'll learn a ton!

2) Get to the show early enough to calmly unload your rabbit(s) and find a place to set up your things. Many show venues don't have tables or chairs, so bringing a folding chair along can make your day a lot more comfortable. Other things to bring: water (for you and the rabbits); first aid kit (also for you and the rabbits); nail clippers, wet wipes and paper towels...because a rabbit with white anywhere on its body will find a way to soil it before judging...! Or a rabbit will stick his nose next door and get nipped for the effort, or a buck will spray and make himself sticky...anyway, you get the idea.

3) Walk around and talk to exhibitors who are sitting with their rabbits waiting for their breed to be called. Many (most?) rabbit people love to talk about their rabbits and help a newcomer to showing. Don't be offended if they have to cut the conversation short to run their rabbits to the table. There are all types of folks, of course, so if one isn't friendly, just shake the dust from your feet and move on...

4) Generally, don't ask the judge questions while he/she is judging. That tends to make the show drag on longer than everyone will enjoy. Most judges will give comments as they go; take notes, and if you have questions, ask them during the lunch break, or after the show is done. DEFINITELY DON'T INDICATE WHICH RABBIT IS YOURS (OR ANYONE ELSE'S). Judges try hard to be objective, so it's not good to make that job harder.

4) Keep it in mind that judges are human and all have unique perspectives, and a lot of what's covered in the SOP (Standard of Perfection) requires subjective judgments. Your rabbit may win on one table and be disqualified on another. Again, don't let it get you down. The judge is supposed to judge the rabbit as it is on that day, not its potential, so a very promising rabbit that's about to go into a molt, or is not doing well with the stress of the show experience, can do poorly on any particular day.

5) Try to have a wire carrier that will keep your rabbit out of its own waste. Some show venues ask that you not bring hay, straw or shavings into the showroom. I use doggy training pads in the bottom of my carriers. They eliminate the mess of shavings or hay, and since they are waterproof, they actually make cleaning the carriers so much easier - just lift them out and you're done.

One of the best ways to learn a lot very quickly is to go to shows and listen to the judges, whether or not you enter any rabbits.
There is one nearby at the end of May. My daughter in law plan to go and observe. She and my son, grandsons are heading to watch one tomorrow.
There was a different thread a while back that covered a lot of this:
https://rabbittalk.com/threads/going-to-a-rabbit-show-but-not-showing.35964/
Thanks. I did read this previously but read again.
It's been a really long time since my first show... that's back in the mists of memory...
Haha, well you are talking to a grandma that is considering showing.
3) Walk around and talk to exhibitors who are sitting with their rabbits waiting for their breed to be called. Many (most?) rabbit people love to talk about their rabbits and help a newcomer to showing. Don't be offended if they have to cut the conversation short to run their rabbits to the table. There are all types of folks, of course, so if one isn't friendly, just shake the dust from your feet and move on...
I did this last fall. There were some that were enjoyable to talk to and some that just waited for you to move along. No offense. I prefer hoppy rabbit people anyway.
Some show venues ask that you not bring hay, straw or shavings into the showroom.
Do you know if the bedding pellets are okay? I like how they absorb everything.

Thank you so much for all of the helpful information. I am going to copy it to my rabbit notes so I can find it easily.

Do you know if the bedding pellets are okay? I like how they absorb everything.
I would think those would be fine. Here they ask that the hay and shavings be left home since it is very hard to clean up; we use a church building that has carpet and while we cover the room with plastic sheeting, the hay is still a pain. If the show is in a fair or livestock building, it may not be an issue at all.

If in doubt, get in contact with the show secretary - his or her name and contact info should be on the show catalog.

So much more fun when it is a family activity!!! :)

Here is a picture of my 9 month old buck, Patterson, that I am considering for show. What do you think? I also have a pedigreed light gray Flemish Giant buck that I am considering.
Showing is a lot of fun! You don’t have to be an ARBA member to show, but it’s necessary if you plan to register/GC your rabbits (if they meet the requirements, and have legs)….as for your buck, hes long in the shoulders, peeks early, and could use more depth. He seems to be “showable” does he have a nose marking?

Back