White pus coming out of eyes w/ nose blood now

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mero2305

Reaction score
So I wasn't able to post for some reason but now I can.

Anyways I have bunnies that JUST opened their eyes and one had one eye that wasn't opened. No signs of anything unusual or anything, but I made the normal chamomile tea with some honey and as it was opening, there was A LOT of pus coming out. I cleaned up the eye and found some Neosporin like thing to get rid of any bacteria (put that under the eyelid) because from my research it looked an infection in the upper end of the nasolacrimal canal, known as the lacrimal sac.

Anyways I have been doing this for the past few days and it seems to be working (the past few days it looked to be completely gone) but last night I didn't clean it as we were celebrating Eid (the holiday that comes after Ramadan to celebrate its completion). I come to check on all the bunnies like I usually do in the morning, and the eye is all crusted over and now (s)he has a bloody nose as well?

I still plan to go back and redo the treatment that I was doing but but I still don't understand why the bloody nose, does anyone have experience or knowledge as to why this is happening, what to do about it (is there anything extra I should do), is there anything that could have been done to prevent this from happening that can be done with future litters? <br /><br /> -- Sun May 16, 2021 1:00 pm -- <br /><br /> https://photos.app.goo.gl/pqVrn6Gnfa845zMRA
link to see both before and after cleaning the eye.

it might be nestbox eye, not sure about the bloody nose but I'd go to a vet and get it checked out to make sure it is curable with cream instead of some sort of staff infection

I have a kit with a similar eye, to me that looks like nest box eye (not an expert). I have purchased some eye wash from amazon, hopefully it is delivered soon. I was instructed to use terramycin by a fellow rabbit owner, this was also suggested by many you tubers. If you are in the USA you can order it on amazon. unfortunately for me it is not available in Canada. I have heard about the chamomile tea as well, but I'm not sure I would add honey; sugar feeds bacteria.

I have a kit with a similar eye, to me that looks like nest box eye (not an expert). I have purchased some eye wash from amazon, hopefully it is delivered soon. I was instructed to use terramycin by a fellow rabbit owner, this was also suggested by many you tubers. If you are in the USA you can order it on amazon. unfortunately for me it is not available in Canada. I have heard about the chamomile tea as well, but I'm not sure I would add honey; sugar feeds bacteria.
This was several years ago, but I was able to buy Terramycin from the US eBay site. That might have changed, but it's worth a try.

A complete nest box clean out (using fresh bedding and reserving only the clean fur) on Day 9 helps to prevent this problem.

This was several years ago, but I was able to buy Terramycin from the US eBay site. That might have changed, but it's worth a try.

A complete nest box clean out (using fresh bedding and reserving only the clean fur) on Day 9 helps to prevent this problem.
interestingly my kit did not develop this in the nesting box, it happened in the grow out pen. and just the one out of 19 kits is affected. Hoping to get this under control, poor thing :(

thank you for the idea! I will look on eBay!

interestingly my kit did not develop this in the nesting box, it happened in the grow out pen. and just the one out of 19 kits is affected. Hoping to get this under control, poor thing :(

thank you for the idea! I will look on eBay!
The "Day 9" nestbox clean-out is a good practice, but of course, eye infections can happen for other reasons. Hope you are able to get the Terramycin and that your rabbit's eye gets better soon.

kits with multiple issues like that, in my experience, should be culled. It means they are carrying some sort of illness, and you don't want to help that illness continue in your herd.

Back