Which Software?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using Kintracks for about twelve years. It's good for a lot of things other than making pedigrees. I find the most useful function to be the level of inbreeding button. I can select a pair and then see how inbred the offspring will be. We're on an island here and getting new blood is quite difficult since to ship in bunnies, I have to have someone on another island go pick them up from the inspection desk and shift them to an inter-island carrier. I can't get direct shipments to my island. So, having the 'coefficient of inbreeding' button lets me breed with a very small gene pool and not end up with inbred rabbits.

I did like the old Kintracks over the newer 'Animal Breeder' software that is now the new Kintracks, but part of that is probably just because I'm used to the older software. I'll look at the Global Pedigree site, though, that may be a good source for getting more breeding stock?
I like the inbreeding function, too. And I do use it, as well, even if I don't yet understand all the ins and outs of rabbit genetics. I do know, however, that well managed inbreeding can be used to bring out excellent traits but then new blood eventually has to be added back in. Inbreedng can also be used to look for bad traits, as well. But, that's getting way too technical for me!

I try to keep the level of inbreeding below 25% when possible. There have been several instanced of inbreeding, but only for specific reasons. A lot of the difficulty I have here is the difficulty of getting more breeding stock. I can't pick them in person and shipping them to Hawaii requires that they land in Honolulu which is on a different island than the one I live on. Since the original foundation stock was shipped in a decade ago, with the help of Kintracks, they aren't inbred even starting with only three pairs.

Inbreeding can work to identify recessive traits, although it can also double up on debilitating and lethal recessives as well.

I use Everbreed but it is glitchy sometimes. They do update it to fix any glitches regularly. It gets the basics done, has breeding predictions but unless you know then genotype it may not help much. Love the task feature and the ledger is easy to use, it also gives data in bar graphs and pie charts. Makes pedigrees etc.

Latest posts

Back