Which bucks and does?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 2 does that are both 75%NZ 25% Flemish Giant. One is black and one is chinchila/light grey. Both had small litters a few weeks ago and I want to breed them again to get better numbers than 5 kits each.

I have several bucks to choose from:

A. Gold tipped steel NZ
B. Light grey/chinchilla 75% 25% mix like the does that I probably will pass on after another litter or two if I find a good replacement in his young

C. TAMUK REW
D.Flemish Giant REW
E. Flemish Giant Light grey/chinchilla

I also have 2 smaller bucks. One is a BEW and another is a charlie and his son.

The two 75/25 greys were bred last time and we got some sandies a black and a squirrel or opal.

My friend has a purebred Californian as well that we could use. Thoughts?

I have a bunch of chinchilla rabbits running around right now because our first buck was a light grey flemish and he did much of the breeding. I like different colors and combinations but these rabbits are mostly for meat or breeding or an occasional pet.

Last edited:
For meat colors don't matter. Health wise only broken X broken is nono (25% Charlies and high risk of megacolon = intestinal problems). For pets more colorfull can increase sales, so sit down with a piece of paper and determine the color genetics of your rabbits so you can breed for variety without ending up with all the same or genetic bottlenecks due to to closely related animals.

For meat colors don't matter. Health wise only broken X broken is nono (25% Charlies and high risk of megacolon = intestinal problems). For pets more colorfull can increase sales, so sit down with a piece of paper and determine the color genetics of your rabbits so you can breed for variety without ending up with all the same or genetic bottlenecks due to to closely related animals.
Of course meat colors do not matter. I do enjoy having rainbows of color in the nestboxes though. The smoke pearl kits out of REW and Siamese sable wew a great surprise. I guess the REW and the Siamese sable carry the dilute gene. We will see what else they carry with other litters.

For anyone watching, we bred the blacl doe to a NZW and the grey doe to the REW Flemish giant who fathered the smoke pearls. I also bred a young Siamese sable to a TAMUK REW. Next month should be fun!

Back