Whew! Lots going on!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Currently we have all of the following on our back deck:

3 dogs
2 kittens
3 children

And all are playing relatively peacefully ;) The only commotion is coming from my 2 year old :roll: .

Since finding a new home for the chicken killing pup (that chased anything that moved) things have been so much better all around. I don't have to keep worrying about them getting out, if any chickens had gotten out, etc. The one pup we kept (Star, my oldest's pick of the litter) is behaving much better without her psycho sidekick. My son is able to spend a lot more time with her, and she's responding well to the beginning steps of training (I have no idea how to train a dog, especially for squirrel hunting :oops: . Going to be looking into some more specifics for her and reaching out to some friends and family members for assistance). She's already doing much better about jumping up on people (ODS was encouraging it, which didn't help). Sitting on command (most of the time), etc. She fetches, too, which has me excited. I love playing fetch with dogs but neither of the other two we have show any interest at all - no idea why, just find it to be a nice, relaxing activity. ODS has spent a lot of today out with her since it's just the two of them. A huge level of stress left with the other pup. Whew! Star has been out with both kittens and chickens for over 48 hours and not an issue at all. She pays zero attention to either one.

The kittens I brought home (which is looking to be 1 male and 1 female... I guess Daisy is actually Duke :lol: ) are so tame and doing really well with the kids. YDS has claimed her, ummm, him as his own and totes him around... he just goes with it. He lets them push him around in the stroller. Perfect kitten for the kids. Not 1 scratch on anyone so far. Hopefully they'll be agressive enough to be decent mousers.

It's kind of crazy right now. Never would I have thought we would have 3 cats and 3 dogs, nearly 40 chickens, a number of rabbits, and now a good sized fish tank (my oldest has been asking for one for years and our neighbor/tenant mentioned wanting to get rid of her50/55 gal. one so he bought the whole set up plus the already established fish for $40). Oh, and possibly quail soon. DH is a bit wide eyed at it all, but when it's all said and done, he understands my reasoning for it all (and brags about it to others) - as long as he doesn't have to do much with them, he's OK with it. I know part of it, with him being the sole provider for the family, is that there are that many more mouths to feed, but since a number of what we have are actually feeding us I think it kind of cancels each other out.

We do want to add to the edible animal list so that is one thing more we have - for us as a family meat source, and also as a bartering option for other things. Also, one thing less we have to rely on other people for. It takes a bit to get things started, but hopefully we'll be settling down into a good routine with them.

So, the rabbits and chickens are for food (and some entertainment ;) ).

Cats - mousers, which are very much needed living between a cow pasture and a hay field.

Dog - Dave Ramsey said they are the cheapest first line of defense - I can't imagine not having the dogs around because I am home alone with the kids all day, every day (out in the country)... I am comforted knowing when people are coming just based on the type of bark I hear. Or if there is another animal in the yard that shouldn't be there since we do raise prey animals.

Anyway, a long rambling sigh of contentment post. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:16 pm __________ <br /><br /> This?

This makes my heart smile :love:

DH even commented that he did not think things would end up this way... at all (as in, how ODS and Star are bonding after Scout leaving). It's what we hoped for, and what we think he really needs. She stays with him wherever he goes in the yard, runs beside him when he's on his bike.

(sorry for the sideways pic, photobucket's being a butt :roll: )

It keeps getting better. Today Star (pup pictured above) went with me for animal rounds. She didn't jump on me one.single.time. YAY!! That seems minor, but compared to just a few days ago that's a HUGE success (I had paw prints on my back from where she leaped over my head when I squatted down in the yard). I had a rabbit get out on me while she was at my feet and she didn't completely flip on it. Didn't even really pay it much attention. Double yay! Once she actually got up from under the hutch, she trotted after it, but I would definitely not call it a "chase" - more a curious, "what is that in the woods" sniff around type action then came back as soon as I whistled.

Then... I went to do chickens. Her sister was the psycho chicken killer. I was about 80% sure she was OK with them and so far it's been OK. I left the coop door open while I filled the waterers and she just sat outside the door. A couple times she tried to come in but I told her a stern "no" and gently pushed her back out. Didn't realize there was a young pullet just a couple feet from her. Again, out of curiosity, she went to check it out. Nose to nose, well, beak with it and she didn't show the least bit excitement.

Such a HUGE sigh of relief!! ODS had been praying that she wouldn't kill any chickens so that we could keep her... looks like his prayers have come true :love:

Awww... good stuff!
A great dog is a true gem :)
We lucked out last year with my daughter's dog~ he is everything we hoped for in a companion for her... except he will run away LOL
Thankfully our yard is fenced and he is content in it (about 2/3 acre) and adores the rabbits (and their poop!).
*My* dog is a rescue Bouvier~ not *terrible* with the rabbits (she is death on cats) but I would never trust her~ however, living in the woods with my husband working away, I love my big black scary dog ;) I can't get over how many people are afraid of her on principle... last year she frightened a couple of deer hunters... them with their big rifles up in the air with their hands over their heads while she circled their vehicle (they parked on the edge of our property).

One of our homeschooling friends has chickens and it kills me to find them at her door, they get in the car if the kids leave the door or windows open...
It is a pretty amazing way to grow up!

{and I'd be with you on mousers, but having lost two kitties last fall, hubby is dead set against any more... I keep hoping one will just show up!}

Back