Where to learn rabbit genetics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, I probably did. It is hard to gauge your audience online. The bonus is that if you ask questions, I am happy to break it down further, and explain anything that is confusing. I really don't mind, all those genetics classes might as well be good for something.
Actually, I am in the middle of learning having the ABCD down somewhat but you added considerably to my actual understanding. GREAT explanation.

, 2 babies are black. 2 are the browns. The browns hairs are Grey (actually look blue) st the skin. It's fascinating and so confusing all at once.

Ok, so the following bunny is agouti, A? B? ?c if I follow you and other stuff I am reading?

20211214_130403.jpg20211214_130408.jpg20211214_130509.jpg20211214_130519.jpg20211214_130541.jpg

Now, this next bunny is also Agouti? I'm confused because it has dark markings rather than light:

20211214_130103.jpg20211214_130058.jpg20211214_130006.jpg20211214_130109.jpgE31C8C68-F45D-4D6C-9305-B8257B12FF2E.jpeg

Ok, I am arranging this in the order of most basic and simple to more specifically useful.

First: basic genetics. Everything you need to know is on the Khan academy video, and he explains it visually, and quickly. All vocabulary terms needed for further searching is in there. I am adding the wikipedia for a deeper dive, but it is more than anyone needs. If you want info using the correct vocabulary for search terms is about half the battle. It gets you much higher quality results.

An Introduction to Mendelian Genetics (video) | Khan Academy

Mendelian inheritance - Wikipedia

Here are some Rabbit color-related resources. The middle one is great for having pictures, but they are all rex rabbits and be aware that the super short fur can make some colors look different.

Rabbit Genetics | The Nature Trail
An Illustrated Guide to Rabbit Coat Color Genetics* [Mink Hollow Rabbitry]
Rabbit Color Genetics 101

That should be enough to get you a decent foundation. If anything needs clarification, let me know, I may not have the answer but I can absolutely find it.

@KelleyBee said:
"Now, this next bunny is also Agouti? I'm confused because it has dark markings rather than light"

They are both agouti. That is their base hair pattern. The intensity of their hair color and tone within that pattern is controlled by yet more genes. I did not want to get too complicated. Also that takes some careful digging--and often having just pics is not enough. I will take a closer look and make some guesses about what may be controlling the deeper colors, now that I have more detailed pics. Both their genotypes are A? B? C? i think, but there are others that play in that I will need to look thru carefully before I take a crack at explaining.

You all are looking at what a scientist does on her work break, lol.

They are both agouti. That is their base hair pattern. The intensity of their hair color and tone within that pattern is controlled by yet more genes. I did not want to get too complicated. Also that takes some careful digging--and often having just pics is not enough. I will take a closer look and make some guesses about what may be controlling the deeper colors.
So, would they both look like this genetically, just based upon the wee bit I am gathering: A? B? ?c. I am assuming their sire has si since he’s silver fox, so each might also have the si somewhere? Or, would it be Aa B? Cc and maybe the si in there?

Thank you for the link leads and better vocabulary.

Yes the si gene is one I am less familiar with.

They look to have different amounts of red in their coat, and they look to have different intensities of black coloring which is the E gene. It could be what appears to be extra "red" is really just more black making what red is there look kinda redder, like if you put pink nail polish over black vs white base coat. That would be the E gene at work. Let me take a closer look and get back to you.

I would focus on rabbit genetics--I found most of my rabbit genetics online for free. You need the most basic understanding of mendelian genetics for most rabbit color genetics. There are cases of straight dominant and recessive genes like the B gene and then there are cases of incomplete dominance (A and C genes) and then poorly understood "red factors" that just need more study.

In my real life my degree is in molecular biology which basically means the chemistry and mechanics of DNA, genetics, and inheritance, though I am now working in immunology. I know a bit more about genetics than any reasonable human should want or need to know. You do NOT need to be an actual scientist to understand rabbit coat colors. But stuff like this is the fun gateway that leads many of us onward to advanced degrees. :)

I will try to find a list of resources to get you started and drop them here. I am good at finding them because I know the search terms that get the technical stuff, not just the show rabbit "what color is this kit" photos. Read a few of them and you will be able to chase down any further info you need just by mimicking their vocabulary.
(y)

Oh! Oh! Oh! if you got black babies, then we know mom also has one a gene!! So she is Aa ?? cc. Half her babies are getting her big A and half are getting her little a!

I like puzzles, what can I say.
Since you like puzzles… I have a black tort, his parents are chocolate and chocolate magpie according to the pedigree. Is this possible or is there a mistake? If its possible how?

Ok, I am arranging this in the order of most basic and simple to more specifically useful.

First: basic genetics. Everything you need to know is on the Khan academy video, and he explains it visually, and quickly. All vocabulary terms needed for further searching is in there. I am adding the wikipedia for a deeper dive, but it is more than anyone needs. If you want info using the correct vocabulary for search terms is about half the battle. It gets you much higher quality results.

An Introduction to Mendelian Genetics (video) | Khan Academy

Mendelian inheritance - Wikipedia

Here are some Rabbit color-related resources. The middle one is great for having pictures, but they are all rex rabbits and be aware that the super short fur can make some colors look different.

Rabbit Genetics | The Nature Trail
An Illustrated Guide to Rabbit Coat Color Genetics* [Mink Hollow Rabbitry]
Rabbit Color Genetics 101

That should be enough to get you a decent foundation. If anything needs clarification, let me know, I may not have the answer but I can absolutely find it.
This is fantastic thank you!

Good morning!!! I’m Giulia and I’m writing from Italy. Thank you for your precious information and sorry for my english! I’m trying to learn the genetic of bunny colors, I have a minilop orange doe, and I know that both her parents are orange with recessive gene cream. When she will be ready, I’d like to breed her with a BEW buck, son of a BEW dad and a Sallander VM mum with blue eyes... I cannot imagine what kind of colors the Keats will be! Is it possible to know? Thank you for your help!!!!

Back