Where do you find good bunnysitters?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We fo on one vacation camping week per year or every other year for a week. It has always been an ordeal to find someone competent to watch the animals. A weekend is different since we can top off all the feeders and then the help just needs to do the waterers on the second day and we come home that night and can check on everything anyhow. Leaving for a whole week means much more is hanging on them.

Ia it bad that I am thinking of getting my kids into 4h just to find a livestock sitter? I feel like kids with animals theybraise for shows or thr fair will get it more than someone who volunteers and just likes bunnies. Where else could I find competent folks in the suburbs? This trip is in July so I am thinking ahead. Sadly no one I know had bunnies nearby.

This is a tough one. Right now I don’t know anyone I would trust/want to work with my herd. I need to network some more, too. If having someone who has their own rabbits care for them, I would have them do some specific bio security measures to help prevent sharing disease between herds.

It’s hard, because things can go wrong so quickly with rabbits if things aren’t done accurately…

Half the herd was rehomed before we went on our last vacation, but that was for two and a half months so I wanted it to be as easy as possible for our neighbor to feed the buns. They live in hutches with automatic water and are semi-self cleaning hutches, so it was down to a minimum of having to open five doors and pour in feed every other day. The bunny sitters went way over and above that, though, and were cleaning the hutches and playing with the buns in their corral, etc. They said it was fun, I hope it was. Then, three weeks after we got back, the half of the herd that had been relocated got their bunny shed blown over by a big windstorm so they all came back, too.

Back