When to stop breeding... (6/15 - Exciting Update!)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy2511

Reaction score
Well, my Holland doe that had a difficult delivery back in April (it was her first ever breeding) just kindled. 3 kits. On the wire. Dead. :(

When I checked on her this morning she was still fine and resting in her cage, but when I went to check on her again now, I found the three dead babies lying on the wire; one was partially eaten. All three had bruising, were a little longer than I would think normal, and had a little blood in their mouths/noses.

Mimi (the "mother") seems to be doing fine and is hopping around her cage like normal.

I had really hoped she would do better with her second litter; she even made a nice nest in the nest box! So now I'm wondering what to do... Breed her a third time or call it quits?
If I choose to breed her again I will have to wait at least another 2 weeks to a month before breeding, due to my summer schedule, and if I decide not to breed her again it means I'll have to find a new doe as she is my only one at this time.

Any suggestions? Is it worth another try?

__________ Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:36 pm __________

Also, for reference, she is housed in an air conditioned basement...

Most go by the 3 strikes, you're out system. You might want to breed her again, but also start looking for a suitable replacement - you may end up finding a kit that you have to grow first.

What are your plans for these kits? Future breeding stock? If so I would not breed her again as she has sub-par genetics. Find a holland doe from a breeder who doesn't have stock with birthing difficulties.

Personally I only give a doe one chance if she has stuck kits or her milk fails to come in. If she has them on the wire then I give them a second chance but not a third.

Dood":tcg7c8ah said:
What are your plans for these kits? Future breeding stock? If so I would not breed her again as she has sub-par genetics. Find a holland doe from a breeder who doesn't have stock with birthing difficulties.

Personally I only give a doe one chance if she has stuck kits or her milk fails to come in. If she has them on the wire then I give them a second chance but not a third.

I`d agree with that.

i wouldn't breed her again, I'd send her off for critter food. Seriously.

A rabbit who can't kindle? I've found if they have difficulty doing it twice, then they will continue to have difficulties. No sense keeping 'em, wasted feed, and unneeded heartbreak over dead kits.

Her first litter was a stuck kit and half the babies on the wire; plus her milk never really came in.

This is her second litter; all the babies had bruising and were born on the wire.

These kits would have been sold as pets and some go to 4-H homes; but this litter doubtfully held anything for me personally.

I hate to have to pet her out as she is such a sweetheart and has the great temperament that I want...
But if I decide not to breed her again, I cannot keep her around just for fun.

__________ Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:23 pm __________

The other downer is that she is my only doe and it is really hard finding a replacement that suits my needs.

I would NOT pet her out, if she's a pretty doe someone will want to breed her (unless you find her a totally exceptional home). You don't want her going through that again.

If you do send her to a pet home, do so with the full disclosure that it is because she has no chance of being a good brood doe. Mention that stuck kits can and DO kill does. She could very easily DIE from it.

My Holland doe had two stillborn litters but has done great ever since. I had already decided if the third litter was a failure I would not rebreed. I'm glad I gave her a third try. She is a great mother. I actually just gave her four foster babies to raise along with her three and she's been awesome.

If possible, try a smaller buck for her 3rd breeding. That should reduce the chance of stuck or overlarge kits, and if she successfully mothers them, you can try the larger buck after that.

My Holland doe had two stillborn litters but has done great ever since. I had already decided if the third litter was a failure I would not rebreed. I'm glad I gave her a third try. She is a great mother. I actually just gave her four foster babies to raise along with her three and she's been awesome.
But do you want her daughters or granddaughters to get the hips that need 3 litters before they are stretched enough to have live young?

I'm not calling into question of the does mothering SKILLS just whether you want to perpetuate rabbits that are malformed in the birth canal.

It would be like purposely breeding a dog with hip displasia because she has such a sweet temperament and is a great mom!

Well... Surprising update!

Last night, almost 24 hours after delivering the three dead babies, Mimi gave birth to a healthy live kit! And, her milk came in immediately and she is taking GREAT care of the little one all day today!

Unfortunately, she still has enough milk for all four babies and the single kit's belly is twice as wide as the rest of itself; it's so swollen that I can see the veins in its belly! (I'll see if I can get a picture yet.)

I removed the baby and nest (which she pulled LOTS of fur for) and I'll try and control feedings so that the kit does not get overfed.
But suffice to say that I am feeling very blessed right now! :) I had worried that I would not be able to keep this doe, whom I am quite attached to, and now it's looking like she'll be worth another chance!

Teddy2511":38gl84km said:
Well... Surprising update!

Last night, almost 24 hours after delivering the three dead babies, Mimi gave birth to a healthy live kit! And, her milk came in immediately and she is taking GREAT care of the little one all day today!

Unfortunately, she still has enough milk for all four babies and the single kit's belly is twice as wide as the rest of itself; it's so swollen that I can see the veins in its belly! (I'll see if I can get a picture yet.)

I removed the baby and nest (which she pulled LOTS of fur for) and I'll try and control feedings so that the kit does not get overfed.
But suffice to say that I am feeling very blessed right now! :) I had worried that I would not be able to keep this doe, whom I am quite attached to, and now it's looking like she'll be worth another chance!

AWESOME!!!!!!!! That is GREAT news, congratulations!!!!!! Yes, post pictures! :)

Wow!

That is pretty incredible, it looks like another piece of evidence for the "two uterine horns - two litters" theory

I am glad the first delivery didn't through her off her game and she is being a good mom.

Congratulations.

Latest posts

Back