when should i start

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarai

Reaction score
hey i have some rabbits and i am wondering when to start feeding seeds or extra grooming and stuff.
so when is the best time to start???

What is your goal in regards to feeding seeds or extra grooming?
All rabbits should have regular nail trims, and be brushed or combed out if they are tangled or shedding heavily.

Feeding a rich food like black oil sunflower seeds(boss) would usually used to help a smaller rabbit put on weight, increase milk production, or provide extra calories to help a rabbit stay warm in winter. Pumpkin seeds can be an excellent alternative, if they are readily available in your area.

With all new foods, introduce them sparingly to rabbits over 8 weeks old, and gradually increase the amounts given until they are eating the amount you desire them to have.

I do not recommend introducing anything new before that age.

If you're showing rabbits and give them a richer food (black oil sunflower seeds, oatmeal, etc.) before a show to get them ready for the show, that can sometimes induce a molt and then you end up with a rabbit that looks moth eaten instead of a show winner.

To get a show rabbit, it's a way of keeping rabbits, not so much something that is done specifically for the show. The last grooming before putting them on the table is important, but the healthy feed and ways of grooming when there's not a show looming on the horizon which does as much to win the show.

Latest posts

Back