When can you foster?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammysue63

Reaction score
I have fostered when 2 does when they kindled a day apart but never more than that. How long can you foster for 1 day, 2 days, a week, between kindling Does. Just wondering when it is not safe to foster anymore?
Thank You :)

I don't have a lot of experience with fostering, but I would think it would depend to some extent on the doe... some are more accommodating than others. If there is too much difference in size and development, the smaller/younger ones would be at a disadvantage if they are not in their home nest.

Do you have a current situation or are you just looking for general guidelines so you can field future problems?

Just looking ahead, we breed 2 does a week but if one misses than I don't have another doe to foster to if I need to. Just wondering if one that kindled the week before would be too much time difference.
I was also wondering about the size and development so you confirmed my concerns.
Thank you as always for your input.

In a pinch, you can try keeping the kits in two nest boxes and give them to the doe at different times. Kits can manage on one feeding a day... Does often feed two or more times a day. It would be a tad tricky, but might be worth trying.

Back