Wheezy Buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceanrose

Reaction score
A month ago, I was given an almost 4 year old buck who wasn't holding condition on his current diet.

He is registered to weigh 8.08#, and when I got him he weighed 7.0 flat. I have not reweighed him, but I can no longer feel his backbone, I would guess he's gained a pound in the month. He is still being freefed pellets, and hay with some oats and he has a mineral block (that he uses).

However, when I got him, I noticed when I picked him up he seemed wheezy and he still does. No discharge from the nose or eyes, no sneezing, but when he gets excited you can hear him wheeze. Activity wise, he seems fine, he sprays, bounces around, and definitely eats. I did notice he drank a ton of water at first, almost 1/2 bottle a day, but he is now down to the more normal 1/3 bottle like the other ones. Today, for example, I let him out in an exercise pen and he dug a hole, raced around, ate grass and generally had a great time.

I am wondering if he might have a touch of pneumonia, or is this just him? I have a vet who is fairly good I could take him too, but I hate to run an antibiotic through him and upset his system if I don't need to. I am wondering if I am best off to just monitor it, watch his weight, and keep him on a good diet (I am trying to make sure he gets fresh greens to help with vitamins) and so on, or do you think he needs a course of antibiotics?

It could, it could also be head shape, he has a HUGE heavy head, almost a mini lop or french lop style head.. Maybe just the short muzzle? I am a little puzzled.

If he has survived a bout of pasturella (or pneumonia) he can have scar tissue in his lungs that can cause the rattling sound from being coated in normal lung fluids.

I think I will continue to watch him, and feed him high Vitamin C veggies, see what he does.. It seems like if it was pasturella symptoms would have gotten worse after traveling to a show, and then to a new house 3 hours away, though you never know.

Latest posts

Back