What's wrong with my buck?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelleyBee

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Something is up with my 5 month old buck. Normal size droppings on top, smaller bottom droppings he's made over yesterday and today. He also has reduced appetite. Has had access to water all weekend. Any ideas? Poo was normal Friday when I cleaned.
20211107_173720.jpg

Don't know but something to do with the GI system. Won't hurt to feed hay only till poop return to normal size. Make sure he eats and drinks. Also make him exercise and give him tummy rubs. Baby simethicone in case there is gas.

I'd search gi stasis just incase. My buck had this to start out and then gi stasis. I I idn't have gas drops so I did fennel and gas tea. I saw some improvement by doing pineapple core and fennel blended up. Buck was barely eating and pooping (if my memory serves correctly he had a couple of spects of really soft poop). I heard his intenstents moving (with a stethoscope) so I knew there wasn't a blockage. With this mixture he had a soft golf ball movement every 30minutes (after 3 ml of the pineable fennel mixture) for 3 to 3.5 hours (I think) before his poop turned normal.

My rabbit had bouts of GI stasis due to pin worms and coccidia.

I'd search gi stasis just incase. My buck had this to start out and then gi stasis. I I idn't have gas drops so I did fennel and gas tea. I saw some improvement by doing pineapple core and fennel blended up. Buck was barely eating and pooping (if my memory serves correctly he had a couple of spects of really soft poop). I heard his intenstents moving (with a stethoscope) so I knew there wasn't a blockage. With this mixture he had a soft golf ball movement every 30minutes (after 3 ml of the pineable fennel mixture) for 3 to 3.5 hours (I think) before his poop turned normal.

My rabbit had bouts of GI stasis due to pin worms and coccidia.
How did you discover what was causing the stasis?

UPDATE: he seems to be recovering. After discovering the problem Sunday evening and receiving input from groups like this, I immediately moved forward as if it were GI Stasis and pulled his pellets, topped off his hay, made sure he had as much water as he could want and provided an abundance of fresh greens. I repeated Monday and Tuesday and his poo appears to be returning to normal. I cleaned out under his cage last night to be sure I had a clear read on his poo this morning. I’ve not yet gone out. Sun not yet risen. If all of his poo appears normal today, I’m considering resuming his daily pellet ration. Would this be too soon or should my decision be based upon his poo performance as I am planning?

Latest posts

Back