What's Up With His Eye?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitsOfTheCreek

Netherland Dwarf Breeder & Well-known Member
Reaction score
I have a Buck who's had Wry Neck since he was a week old (I don't know the exact but I think he's 2-3 years old...?) and he hasn't had any significant problems (the only thing close would be running around in circles which isn't actually a problem and him not being able to clean himself, but that's been fixed for a while now) but I went to see him today and noticed that his eye looks weird, like if his pupil 'bled' into the rest of his eye. I haven't noticed this till now, but I feel like if it wasn't recent then I would have

It didn't show up as well in the pictures as I had hoped, but his eye is almost normal colored but there's a big dark splotch. His other eye is fine
IMG_20230403_171834741~2.jpg
(He has an eye booger in that picture ^)
IMG_20230403_172255063.jpgIMG_20230403_172349924.jpg

Green is where I would expect the pupil [color] to be and blue is where it's darker like one
IMG_20230403_171834741~4.jpgIMG_20230403_172255063~3.jpgIMG_20230403_172349924~2.jpg

My bad, I think I get what you mean now
The only thing I've done since finding it was looking it over and giving him an eye drop

My bad, I think I get what you mean now
The only thing I've done since finding it was looking it over and giving him an eye drop
The main cause of wry neck that I've personally encountered is the microorganism Encephalitazoon cunuiculi. E. cuniculi is a protozoan that is usually found in the kidneys, but when the rabbit is stressed it occasionally migrates to the brain and/or eye(s). The rabbits I've dealt with have had various symptoms including wry neck, vertigo, rolling, and weepy/cloudy/bulging eyes, depending on where it lodged (eye/eyes or brain or both).

We've had good success treating it with ivermectin, especilly when we caught it early. I've used Ivomec 1% injectable solution (cattle dewormer) given orally) at 1/10cc per pound of body weight, with that same dosage repeated at 7 days. I've also used ivermectin apple-flavored horse wormer paste; it's a 1.87% preparation, but I used it at the same rate and had similar results.

The sucesses we had were almost always in does. It does take a while to clear up. Their eyes would clear up first, usually strating after the first dose, and then their head tilt would begin to slowly right itself, starting a few a weeks after the second dose. For some reason, it seemed to hit bucks harder and faster, and we had less success with them. But if it is E. cuniculi that's bothering your little guy, he's already demonstrated he can survive it. Ivermectin probably will not hurt him, so if it was me I'd give it a try. I don't know if his head will right itself after this long, but at least you might be able to address the eye problem.

The main cause of wry neck that I've personally encountered is the microorganism Encephalitazoon cunuiculi. E. cuniculi is a protozoan that is usually found in the kidneys, but when the rabbit is stressed it occasionally migrates to the brain and/or eye(s). The rabbits I've dealt with have had various symptoms including wry neck, vertigo, rolling, and weepy/cloudy/bulging eyes, depending on where it lodged (eye/eyes or brain or both).

We've had good success treating it with ivermectin, especilly when we caught it early. I've used Ivomec 1% injectable solution (cattle dewormer) given orally) at 1/10cc per pound of body weight, with that same dosage repeated at 7 days. I've also used ivermectin apple-flavored horse wormer paste; it's a 1.87% preparation, but I used it at the same rate and had similar results.

The sucesses we had were almost always in does. It does take a while to clear up. Their eyes would clear up first, usually strating after the first dose, and then their head tilt would begin to slowly right itself, starting a few a weeks after the second dose. For some reason, it seemed to hit bucks harder and faster, and we had less success with them. But if it is E. cuniculi that's bothering your little guy, he's already demonstrated he can survive it. Ivermectin probably will not hurt him, so if it was me I'd give it a try. I don't know if his head will right itself after this long, but at least you might be able to address the eye problem.
THIS is what I meant. Sorry i wasn't more clear. :( Thanks Alaska for being more clear. :)

Latest posts

Back