What's the difference?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
What is the difference (besides price) between Galfan wire and G.A.W. wire? I thought Galfan was just a brand name of G.A.W., but now I'm starting to wonder.

What is the expected life span of a cage made of Galfan? What about cages made of G.A.W. (if different)?

http://www.galfan.com/pdf/interwire_paper_0501.pdf

It is practical and economical to apply a zinc alloy coating. Although traditional
galvanized coatings with small (0.1%) aluminum compositions are the most popular, the most
rapidly growing hot dip coating is made with the Galfan® process, wherein a Zn-5% Al coating
is applied by hot dipping (all composition data in this paper are in % by weight). This paper
reviews this process and presents a model for management of the aluminum content in the hot
dip Galfan® bath.
Galfan

It appears to be a way to dip with a higher zinc % for more protection than other methods.

no, higher Aluminum percentage
the AL resists stuff that the zinc will corrode from, and vice-versa

ALSO
G.A.W is Galv after welding
which is different from GALFAN, as while the name brand may sell only GAW, the specific name is for the Galv, no when it was applied

Yup, Jack is right...Galfan is a type of coating....GAW just means it was coated AFTER it was welded.

Hmmmmm. . . One place I'm looking at for cages says, "All cages are made with 14 Ga. Galfan wire. . . If you would like your cages made out of G.A.W. wire add 10% to the prices." I'm trying to figure out just what that means.

trinityoaks":2teejr8f said:
Hmmmmm. . . One place I'm looking at for cages says, "All cages are made with 14 Ga. Galfan wire. . . If you would like your cages made out of G.A.W. wire add 10% to the prices." I'm trying to figure out just what that means.

They are GBW, galvanized BEFORE weld, using Galfan coating.....won't hold up as well...Did you check with Bryant's?

OneAcreFarm":87xu5zvr said:
They are GBW, galvanized BEFORE weld, using Galfan coating.....won't hold up as well...Did you check with Bryant's?
That's kinda what I was thinking. That quote is from Bryant's catalog.

trinityoaks":yv7f5a0a said:
OneAcreFarm":yv7f5a0a said:
That's kinda what I was thinking. That quote is from Bryant's catalog.

Catalog? They have a catalog?.... :shock: I just always call and tell them what I want and they will give me a price....are you thinking of Klubertanz?

OneAcreFarm":3regcae6 said:
Catalog? They have a catalog?.... :shock:
Yup! The first time I went in, I was asking about prices and stuff for the automatic watering system, and they gave one to me. The catalog is just a dozen or so computer-printed pages stapled together, with photos, descriptions, and prices. Says "Bryant's Small Animal Equipment" on the front. :) I'll bet they would send you one if you asked for it.

trinityoaks":w93z2ob7 said:
OneAcreFarm":w93z2ob7 said:
Catalog? They have a catalog?.... :shock:
Yup! The first time I went in, I was asking about prices and stuff for the automatic watering system, and they gave one to me. The catalog is just a dozen or so computer-printed pages stapled together, with photos, descriptions, and prices. Says "Bryant's Small Animal Equipment" on the front. :) I'll bet they would send you one if you asked for it.

Whaddya know! I never go in there, hubs is always picking stuff up...next time I will ask him to get one...get the GAW, it is worth it.

OneAcreFarm":tre6o0bi said:
Whaddya know! I never go in there, hubs is always picking stuff up.
Oh, you ought to go sometime! The owner is a really nice guy, very knowledgeable. Apparently, some years ago he was one of the top Cal breeders in the state, and one of the top Flemish Giant breeders in the country.

get the GAW, it is worth it.
That's pretty much what I figured. I was hoping, though, that the Galfan would also be GAW instead of GBW.

CRAP
sorry, I just remembered the
SECOND reason they up the Al content
where GBW tends to burn off the galv, leading to rusting at the weld,
the GALFAN wire, with the different mix leaves a much stronger coat at the weld junction, mostly AL, but not the maybe exposed wire of GBW

still not up to GAW, but a major improvement on GBW, now the next question, does rabbit piss eat through AL like it does everything else?

Beekeeper10":26k0pk9j said:
Thanks trinityoaks
I will check it out the next time I am over there.

Completely worth it too, he makes great cages and has all kinds of equipment and supplies for really good prices.

I too am looking for 14 ga. Galfan cages . . . . Could I bother you for where you found this company

Back