What would you add to this horse food?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure on most of this stuff yet but i do notice that its only 14% protien. which breeding does will do best on 18%. good luck though :)

As Ohiogoatgirl said it is low in protein for optimal growth of fryers and for breeding does to maintain condition. I also like to give more fat, closer to 5% and supplement with oats and BOSS.

At £11/ 20kg isn't that about the same price as rabbit pellets?

Very interesting... I just concluded a 14% horse feed experiment with my rabbits. They did alright, but I wasn't satisfied with their condition, I had quite a lot of kit losses (which may have been related to the feed, or to the breeding stoppage related to our move), and they were always acting hungry, even though they'd have food left over.

The feed I was using, though, contained corn and molasses. The only ingredients for the one you're looking at are alfalfa and sugar beet.

I'd be willing to give it a shot. The sugar beet is spent. It has most of the sugar out of it. And it doesn't have any sugar/molasses added.

Most people do have better results with higher protein... I've gone back to 16% pellets. Others raise rabbits, horses, and goats on 14% horse feed. Some even use 12% horse feed, and still produce show bunnies.

I'm not sure why you would choose this product when the same website advertises three kinds of rabbit pellets at a slightly lower price. The one at 17% protein would likely give better results. Note that they say you also need to feed hay for additional fibre.
http://www.efeed.co.uk/products/smallho ... it-pellets

I am moving this thread to the Rabbit Care forum, where it will get more attention from members who use commercial feeds.

Well, I'm still aiming to naturally feed. The pellets I am using up are 15% protein but are full of soy meal and other things I want to avoid. A combined concentrate/"hay" ration would be ideal for saving storage space too. I'm off to browse a feedstore tomorrow anyway :)

Can you get a grain ration or simply some barley or wheat "feed grade" to sprout? That could serve as your base and then add forage and hay for additional nutrients and protein. If you have access to Mulberry leaves, that would up your protein quite nicely and the grains would make a nice supplement to their natural diet.

You'll need to top dress with a high protien source to maximize growth but the rabbits will survive on the horse ration, just not shine.

I dont know what sort of feeds are available in your area but you can ask the feed store if they have any recommendations for added protein.

Yes, I would love to avoid the soybean ingredients, too... and the corn. Both are probably GMO. I just can't do it at this time. There aren't enough grains around here at an affordable price to do it (I'd have to go to Whole Foods, which is $$$$$$!).

I plan to try sprouting oats for fodder in the future. I just have several major projects I have to finish first.

FYI - alfalfa will also be GMO ... Monsanto got the USDA to approve their gene-spliced roundup-ready alfalfa ... which means that ALL alfalfa will soon be GMO :furious: :rant:

AnnClaire":d1ci4o5c said:
FYI - alfalfa will also be GMO ... Monsanto got the USDA to approve their gene-spliced roundup-ready alfalfa ... which means that ALL alfalfa will soon be GMO :furious: :rant:

It is getting harder and harder to avoid The Great Evil (Monsanto). Perhaps it is time to buy non-GMO alfalfa seed and start growing our own and seed saving. Or, find other food options to replace it that we can grow on our own properties. (Of course, that only works for folks with property to grow foods.)<br /><br />__________ Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:40 am __________<br /><br />
UK-backyardbunnies":d1ci4o5c said:
My fodder sprouting is not progressing as hoped....! Still waiting for the first tray to get going!

I moved mine outside. As it is getting warmer, it is doing better. But, I need to remove the BOSS for the summer but am not sure what to replace it with...I need a good "summer blend".

AnnClaire":3j9oakfr said:

Not mine, I have an uncle who has been raising alfalfa from the same line for decades, same for all his produce. I remember being little and them talking about saving seed to avoid the "high-bred" seeds that would force them to buy seed later down the road. Old timers had so much more foresight back then. Anyway, we are so far removed from anything remotely civilized, much less commercial, so very little chance of cross-contamination. Start searching now for a local farmer who has heirloom seed and stockpile and see if you can grow some of your own. I already have some oats from the oat hay stored. Now that you have this brought to my attention, I will make sure to ask him to let me know when he lets his alfalfa seed out so I can get some. He won't be around forever and I have to start planning now. Thanks for the heads up!

Backyard bunnies is in the UK. I don't think they need to worry about their alfalfa, a lot of GMO stuff is banned there and I think that includes GMO corn and soybeans.

coffeenutdesigns":1ntm18l7 said:
I have an uncle who has been raising alfalfa from the same line for decades..... He won't be around forever and I have to start planning now.
Is he in TX too? I thought I couldn't grow alfalfa this far south. Nobody around here grows alfalfa.

Maybe he could write up a tutorial... you know, Alfalfa for Dummies... written for people who have never seen alfalfa before. Pictures would be great, I'm sure. He could sell us some seeds and the tutorial, and he would be helping save non-GMO alfalfa. Just enough seeds to make like a 4' x 4' patch at first, so we could save seed, and increase our patch size each year.

I'd look for a local farmer, like you said, but I haven't found an alfalfa farmer anywhere!

The tutorial would help make sure as little of his seed as possible failed.

Dood":1ntm18l7 said:
Backyard bunnies is in the UK. I don't think they need to worry about their alfalfa, a lot of GMO stuff is banned there and I think that includes GMO corn and soybeans.
That is true, I forgot they're in the UK... I sure wish we didn't have to worry about it here!

Frecs":1ntm18l7 said:
I saw something the other day that Monsanto is trying to overturn those laws so they can do to Europe what they've done here.
Oh, gracious... I sure hope they don't succeed!!<br /><br />__________ Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:45 pm __________<br /><br />Oh, wow, was I wrong! :p

The LSU AgCenter has a whole write-up on growing alfalfa here!

So does alfalfa.org!

LA doesn't have an alfalfa variety testing program.

t has been grown in the region since the late 1800’s and continues to be recognized as a superb forage species. Nonetheless, to date alfalfa has not attained the status in the South that it has in other parts of the nation. Like other regions, alfalfa acreage moved slowly upward for several decades in the early 1900’s. Then, with the arrival of the alfalfa weevil in the late 1950’s and an abundant supply of inexpensive nitrogen fertilizer, alfalfa acreage fell sharply in the early 1960's.

Since then, southern alfalfa acreage has remained relatively low. Production problems, such as a lack of modern well-adapted varieties and pest infestations, limited alfalfa yields and stand persistence. Low fertilizer and transportation costs during this era made it impractical for livestock producers in the South to grow their own alfalfa. If they needed alfalfa hay or other protein supplements, it was more cost effective to import them from other regions.

However, fertilizer and transportation costs have increased substantially in recent years. This has resulted in increased demand for high quality forage produced at the local level. As a result, alfalfa acreage in the South is increasing once again. http://www.alfalfa.org/pdf/alfalfainthesouth.pdf

In many parts of our nation, alfalfa is widely planted for hay production, but alfalfa acreage in the South is relatively low. One of the main reasons for this is that our often-frequent rainfall and high humidity levels are not highly conducive to harvesting alfalfa as hay. It can be done (and some Alabama are doing well producing alfalfa hay), but the level of difficulty is definitely higher than in other regions. http://www.pasturegrass-seed.com/alfalf ... -seed.html

You can buy alfalfa seed in as little as 1 pound amounts at that last site! You're supposed to buy an inoculant with it. I wonder if any of it is non-hybrid, so you can save seed?

I think I'll focus on mulberries. I've been reading about how to plant mulberry trees very close (like 2 feet apart) and pollarding them as livestock forage (pollard hay). Done a certain way, I can still get berries and livestock forage. My mulberry sprouts are doing well so hopefully I'll have some good tree starts soon. Still want more...should buy some older trees to get me started.

Latest posts

Back