what would buttercup poisoning look like in chickens?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I rarely lose chickens, but just had to dispatch my second one in a week. The first was my amazingly awesome roo that I have had for several years. I went out to work on the run and heard something, saw his feet sticking out form behind a trashcan, kicking every so often :cry: . I thought maybe the two roos got into a fight and he lost, but there was little evidence of that (no feathers, no blood bath). He was acting off a couple weeks ago, so I had already mentally prepared for a mercy cull, but never seemed to get worse, maybe a bit better. I thought it was genetics b/c I had to cull one of the two hens that I got from the same person at the same time (same breed, BLRW) for sour crop. He has always been heavy on his feet, and got to the point his "ankles" seemed to be giving out on him. I still don't know what happened, but I did notice his head was dark and swollen.

Today I go out to check on the chickens after being gone since 4:30 am and find a year old hen laying on the ground, it looked like she was dust bathing, but she didn't move when I came into the run. Odd. Then I noticed she was breathing heavy. They were out of water (no idea why, normally the 2 gallons will last them 24 hours with some to spare... maybe one of them knocked it over somehow??) so I thought maybe dehydration, but when I stuck her beak in water she just kept panting/gasping. No moving, no fighting. No attempt to drink. Nothing. Really weird. The comb was pale, but not swollen like the rooster. I checked for prolapsed vent, nothing out of the ordinary there. Couldn't find any obvious injuries. One thing to note that this is one of the above roosters offspring.

The one thing I can think of is possible buttercup poisoning?? But I have no idea what that would look like in a chicken, and Google isn't helping me find much of a definitive answer. We just moved them to a new coop, and only recently have they been out in the run all day every day. I didn't think much of the buttercup because they had always been free ranging in and around them, but maybe with the higher concentration of them it's a bigger issue?? The area is pretty well picked clean at this point - some scraggly parts of the plan left, but flowers are gone. I checked the droppings under the coop and didn't see a single hint of blood so I don't think cocci. Another option is the run is where the cow pasture was, but again, they have been free ranging out there for years! Argh. So discouraging :cry: :( :evil:

Dood":33hmsb3f said:
Have you done a necropsy ?

Sounds more like black head / histomonosis http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseasein ... blackhead/

Oh no! :shock: :x I didn't with the first one because I thought it was isolated, and I thought about it last night for the other, but after 4 hours of sleep, and right before bed, I just let it go. I wonder if it will still be where I tossed it last night. Going to run out really quick and check... Looking at one picture it looks like my rooster, but that's how he has looked for a while, I just thought the other rooster was pecking at him. Now i feel kinda dumb.

__________ Sun May 15, 2016 8:58 am __________

OK, pulled her out of a nice patch of poison oak :? . Thick layer of fat in the cavity which surprised me - especially since she was a younger hen, soft shelled egg passng through and lots of yolks ready to go. Kidneys were mottled a bit, not sure if it was from the length of time after death though. Liver was nasty, but not with lesions like I am seeing pics of. Half of it was dark, almost like a huge blood clot (what I thught it was at first), the other half was pale and total mush. It pretty much liquefied when I tried to pick it up (the dark area stayed solid). I thought I found a lesion starting on the dark area, but it was just a liquefied piece of the paler section :roll: . I didn't even think to pull out the lungs or heart since I was so focused on the liver. <br /><br /> __________ Sun May 15, 2016 1:32 pm __________ <br /><br /> Looking at some other necropsy pics (and not knowing exactly what's "normal" since I have only processed a handful over the years) I wonder if she was starting to lay internally? There was one fluid filled sack that I wasn't sure of, but figured it was part of the reproductive tract (I assumed it was the between stage before getting the shell, but it was on the outside now that I think of it - found it before I pulled out the cluster of yolk sack looking things (whatever they are called) and the soft shelled egg still in the shell gland (term found on a labeled pic). I'm just totally perplexed. And the more I see other necropsy pics the more I am stumped by the really thick layer of "fat." It was pretty solid, but I assumed that to be because of the cooler temps last night (it was 14 hours from death to being cut open). I could say it was at least 1/2" thick in most areas, pushing an inch thick in some spots. I did a vertical cut from sternum down to get her open and the knife wouldn't cut through it easily at all. I had to pull it out with my hands and it broke off in chunks. It was like it covered the whole lower cavity, similar to how Antarctica covers the bottom of the earth. I would say similar in amounts to what this photo shows: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/76683 ... psy-photos

Trying to decide to pull the remains back out and see what's left for pictures... I couldn't find my camera this morning and didn't realize just how many questionable things I would find other wise I would have snatched DH's phone.

I did just find Leukosis mentioned in a thread on BYC... and initially that's looking possible... I need sleep at the point, going to attempt to take a nap, but then figure out what the heck is going on and what I need to do about it!

Dood":2qcf2uf3 said:
Could it be Egg Yolk Peritonitis (EYP) ?

I can only hope it's something that will be limited to her... I do have a couple other hens and a rooster from the original BLRW blood lines so we'll see how they do long term. I had hoped to hatch out some more so I can continue with those genetics, mainly for my awesome roo personalities, but it's not worth it if the hens are all going to have issues :( . I watched the flock a bit closer today and all but one hen had nice red combs so I will be keeping an eye on the paler one JIC.

I really wish I would have opened up that rooster the other day, but I really didn't think much of it... figured it was an older bird with poorer genetics and that was it. Never crossed my mind that it might be something contagious.

Latest posts

Back