What To Look For In A Broken?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitsOfTheCreek

Netherland Dwarf Breeder & Well-known Member
Reaction score
Since it's been a while since two of my three Does have had Kits, we're not going to keep them if they don't have any (I will try to sell one if she doesn't have any but the other is way too aggressive)
I talked with my mother the other day about it and I was thinking about getting a Siamese Sable (If my current one doesn't have Kits, the other other one I have is her brother and he is very pretty but can't breed) and a Broken (If the aggressive one doesn't have any)
I'm not sure how much I'd be showing the Broken Doe, but I do want to get a good-looking one. I know she needs enough color, but what else do I need to know?
Should I look for ones in colors that go better with mine? (Ex. How Smoke Pearls go good with Sables) I have three breeding Bucks, a Smoke Pearl, a Black Himi, and a BEW

Since it's been a while since two of my three Does have had Kits, we're not going to keep them if they don't have any (I will try to sell one if she doesn't have any but the other is way too aggressive)
I talked with my mother the other day about it and I was thinking about getting a Siamese Sable (If my current one doesn't have Kits, the other other one I have is her brother and he is very pretty but can't breed) and a Broken (If the aggressive one doesn't have any)
I'm not sure how much I'd be showing the Broken Doe, but I do want to get a good-looking one. I know she needs enough color, but what else do I need to know?
Should I look for ones in colors that go better with mine? (Ex. How Smoke Pearls go good with Sables) I have three breeding Bucks, a Smoke Pearl, a Black Himi, and a BEW
Yes, look for brokens in colors that go with your bucks' base colors. You'd need to look at the BEW's pedigree to see what he's got behind him, unless it's all BEWs and then you'll just have to take your chances! :) Then again, Netherland Dwarfs are accepted in so many colors, you probably won't do too badly with most any color.
I'd caution against breeding a broken doe with your himi buck, since you can get broken himis which aren't accepted. Sometimes you won't notice a broken himi until you see its nose marking isn't quite all there or is a bit lopsided, or its feet never color in.
One other note. My daughter raised BEW Polish and she discovered she wasn't found of breeding BEW x broken. She ended up getting Vienna marked brokens, i.e. brokens without nose markings. You probably know that's a DQ in brokens. The other problem was that later on it was hard to tell which were actually Vienna-marked, because with brokens it's hard to say (unless of course they have no nose marking!).
Why can't your siamese sable buck breed?

Last edited:
Yes, look for brokens in colors that go with your bucks' base colors. You'd need to look at the BEW's pedigree to see what he's got behind him, unless it's all BEWs and then you'll just have to take your chances! :) Then again, Netherland Dwarfs are accepted in so many colors, you probably won't do too badly with most any color.
I'd caution against breeding a broken doe with your himi buck, since you can get broken himis which aren't accepted. Sometimes you won't notice a broken himi until you see its nose marking isn't quite all there or is a bit lopsided, or its feet never color in.
One other note. My daughter raised BEW Polish and she discovered she wasn't found of breeding BEW x broken. She ended up getting Vienna marked brokens, i.e. brokens without nose markings. You probably know that's a DQ in brokens. The other problem was that later on it was hard to tell which were actually Vienna-marked, because with brokens it's hard to say (unless of course they have no nose marking!).
Why can't your siamese sable buck breed?
Thank you! That's a lot of good information
He can't breed because at the last show we found out that he only has one testicle (Somehow that's the very first judge to notice? We didn't even know)

My BEW has other BEWs, Black Otter (VM obviously), Black Silver Marten, Chinchilla, Broken Black, VM Black, VM chestnut, and blue silver marten (But you know he only throws VM blacks and VM really dark sables lol)

So there's a Broken but at the pet store, and I'm not getting him but (ignoring that he doesn't have enough color everywhere else) would he be disqualified for having no nose markings?IMG_20221217_144003030~2.jpg

So there's a Broken but at the pet store, and I'm not getting him but (ignoring that he doesn't have enough color everywhere else) would he be disqualified for having no nose markings?View attachment 33139
Yes, the Netherland Dwarf SOP says that a complete absence of color on the nose, around either eye, or on either ear, is a DQ in brokens. As far as I know, that's the case for all breeds that accept the broken variety.

Yes, the Netherland Dwarf SOP says that a complete absence of color on the nose, around either eye, or on either ear, is a DQ in brokens. As far as I know, that's the case for all breeds that accept the broken variety.
Alright thank you

Back