What to feed rabbit to increase weight

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystang89

Reaction score
I feed my rabbits winter wheat fodder and timothy or orchard hay, depending on which one I get. The rabbits weight about 10lbs "ish" and I feed the full 5% of the body weight so about 8 oz. Some rabbits seem fine with that but there are a few that the spine feels a little spiky to me. What do I increase more of, hay or fodder? I try to keep fodder in there at all times for them but I am rarely successful at that.

Feed whichever has more protein and fat. Usually fodder is higher in protein and I believe the same amount of oils as grass hays.

Alfalfa and soybean meal have higher protein than both.

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds has higher oil/fat.

I've been having some good luck with just adding black oil sunflower seeds. I feed barley fodder (6%), free-feed an orchard grass/alfalfa mix hay (that's all they have at the feed store here), and 1/4 cup of B.O.S.S. daily as they eat it (sometimes they don't finish it in one day).

Thanks, I'll price the BOSS at TSC and see if its worth the extra cash. Sometimes our TSC can be a bit steep on the pricing. If that doesn't work I might try increasing the fodder. I know that with fodder the amount of protein in it depends on the day fed and that changes all the time for me. Some might get pulled on the 7th day others the 8th or 9th and by the time 1 tray gets all used up it could be the 11th day growing.

Sounds like you either need MORE BUNNIES, or 2x the trays at half the size you have now :p

Mystang, I was surprised a few weeks ago to learn that our local feed mill was a couple dollars cheaper on the BOSS than TSC. And the lower price was for 50 pounds instead of 40! If you have one close, maybe take a look there?

Anna, if you mean pellet brand, take a look at the ingredients. You want a good protein percentage. I feed mine Manna brand pellets, along with hay and lots of greens (weeds, plants, and garden stuff).

I get B.O.S.S. at target store. everyday price is $10.00 for 10 lbs.
and they usaly put it on sale twice a year and I think the last sale I paie
$7.50 for 10 lbs

Back