What size cage to keep does in

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UK wes

Reaction score
I was wondering if everyone keeps their breeding does in breeding/litter sized cages all the time ?
Or only at sometime after they have been bred ?
I intend giving my does a break between litters, so would I move them to a smaller cage untill I was ready for them to breed again ?
Or just remove the nest box and give them the extra room ?
I have limited space and would like to keep up a steady supply of kits so if I could move does I could have more does on rotation.
Many thanks for your help, I'm in the south of England by the way, if that makes a difference.

I'm in a similar situation (limited space). I leave my does in the same cage all year round. Actually all my adult rabbits get 36" wide x 24" deep x18" high. Does are territorial, so I think moving them in and out of eachothers nesting spaces would stress them out.

A couple more details might help me answer you better.
What breed of rabbit are you raising?What size is your bigger cage?
What size is your smaller cage?
How many of each size cages do you have (or are planning to get)?
How many adult rabbits do you have?
How long do you want to let them rest?
How many rabbits is "a steady supply"? 1 or 2 per week?

I could give you a pretty good idea how many rabbits you need given those details.

My rabbits get odd sized cages because I built according to the materials I had available, and my reach. I have 2x5 foot floors, with 2-3+ foot ceilings (depending on roof slope). I leave the nestboxes in, and built them with a resting space on top. Most rabbits will sit on top like Snoopy. Even my buck has a space like this. From the center door, which is big enough to fit my shoulders through, I can reach every part of the cage. The height is really unecessary, but my husband had opinions on the look of the building, and I have considered adding a second resting shelf so that there is even more floor space.

Back