What should I look for

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbitready

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a buck and doe angora rabbit (not related) I have contacted a breeder who has a few to choose from that I can get a pair out of.
I want to know what I should be looking for. I know to check the ears, teeth, genitals.
What else should I be looking for and as I would like to perhaps show and definitely collect the fiber is color important?
I know that crimp is good.
Any suggestions would be welcome and appreciated.

Rabbitready":goabu76a said:
I am looking at getting a buck and doe angora rabbit (not related)

Actually, you want them to share some common ancestors. It is much easier to get consistent results than if you outcross. Since you are getting a pair from the same breeder, they are likely related anyway.

Other than the basic health check you mentioned, listen for excessive sneezing in the rabbitry.

Angoras are a dual purpose breed, bred for meat and fiber, so they should have good meaty bodies under all of that fluff.

As for fiber quality, I have no idea. What type of Angoras are you getting? It's likely that only certain colors are accepted in the various breeds.

I would look at the ARBA standards for the breed you are getting. It will give you great info, including showable colors.

Good luck with your buns!

Latest posts

Back