What should I do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatzNetherlands

Reaction score
We are letting our kids each get one rabbit specifically for themselves. I have so far let the kids pick out whatever color they wanted. My youngest daughter got a black silver marten, my middle daughter wanted a lilac silver marten and we got it but now I am stuck with my oldest daughters request.
We really wanted to have all rabbits be 'useful' in our breeding program... So tell me, is there any 'use' in her request?

We have blue lines(self, otter and silver marten,) I am trying not to get into brokens in the blue line just yet.
And I think we may keep our chocolate line but not sure yet, same varieties as the blue.

My daughter really wants a BEW netherland. And while I find them adorable, I am pretty much finding that I am going to need a VM buck or another BEW buck to make her 'useful' and not with the lines I already have. I didn't really want to start a BEW line.

What should I do? Incorporate a BEW or try and talk her into something else? She is 11 btw.

If you told your kids they could choose for themselves, then I think you need to honour that. The modelling of the principle of keeping your word is more important than the breeding program. Just my take on it... and I admit that I am old-fashioned and rather rigid about values.

Just because you get one BEW doesn't mean you have to breed for BEW. Get a BEW with some blue or other useful color in it's background. A BEW will throw whatever color is under it when crossed to a rabbit without BEW and while all offspring will carry BEW they will not all show it. Only some rabbits with bew are VM. Those that aren't could still be shown under their other coat color and even if they are VM they could still be used as brood stock. 50% of the rabbits from a VM rabbit will not even carry BEW so no chance of markings in at least half of the 2nd generation.

The cute markings on a VM rabbit tend to make them sell well as pets, especially dwarf, so even if you don't have a market with breeders you should still be able to sell them easily.

I have all intentions of keeping my word to her. I just wanted to make sure that she would be able to 'participate' in letting her rabbit have babies(her favorite part! That and interviewing new homes, she is very good at that!). But, my husband had a great idea of us just using someone else's buck and not having to bring in more....

It kind of solves all of our problems! She gets her rabbit, it still, for lack of better word, pays for itself. And she will be able to show and breed her.

Akane, that is really interesting. Great idea!

I know it sounds selfish to want a 'useful' bunny, but we have alot of just pets, and of course we love them, but if I could make my dogs or cat pay for their own food and bedding, I would probably make them too! LOL

What should I do? Incorporate a BEW or try and talk her into something else?

This was the line that worried me. Even if she eventually went along with you, she might still feel that she didn't really get to choose. Eleven is a particularly sensitive age. I'm not trying to be judgmental -- and you know your own daughter best -- but you did ask for opinions.

What I meant by that, was show her the other colors in person, etc. I do not even know all the colors of Netherlands(I am learning them though)

She is pretty stubborn sometimes and if that is what she is dead set on, then we would get it regardless... I just haven't pushed her to look into what other colors are even out there... that is what I meant by try and talk her into other colors...

I appreciate your opinion. We let our kids do alot on their own and try to encourage them to make their own opinions... you can bet that they are showing their own rabbits! lol That is part of the condition of them having their own pets... have to be involved!

A BEW will have 2 copies of the vienna gene, therefore ALL offspring from a BEW rabbit will be vienna carriers and most likely have various white markings, making them totally unshowable. Unless you want to work with bew then I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Most breeders who don't work with it won't take a VC into their lines at all, it would only leave the pet side of it for sales. Perhaps a REW would do? One that has come from blues or chocolates perhaps?

She doesn't like the red eyes... in any animal. She told me today that she likes the whites but she wants to see more colors because she likes the 'siamese' look too.... So, now I am trying to find a site that shows EVERY color of Netherland.... not having much luck! lol

She may still go with a BEW, but after talking to her about it, we both agree she should know what options are out there before she decides. I would hate to get her a BEW and have her fall in love with another color I didn't mention or show her....

My lesson here will be: Be educated before you get your pet, and make sure it is the one you want!

and then it back fires and she'll want them all hehe

Good idea though to show her all the options that way she will not end up disappointed in her choice.

These have been VERY helpful! I have been looking at bunnies all night with her.... She narrowed it down to 3 colors she likes, the BEW, the Smoke Pearl Marten, and the Chocolate. She went through TONS of pictures and info, and is looking at how different they can look, what the standard should be, etc... She is really doing her research and being picky(that is what I wanted!)

So now, we wait and see what she picks! And then the fun part of trying to find it!

we have a blue eyed white holland lop... and love all the surprises we get when breeding here to NON bew or vm rabbits... so far she has given us a blue otter, black otter and tri color baby... love it

Great that you are letting her pick out her own rabbit!

I can't be much help beyond that except to say maybe what she really needs is a pair or trio! ;)

quintex":1od64fle said:
I can't be much help beyond that except to say maybe what she really needs is a pair or trio! ;)
:lol: You haven't even been on here that long, and you're just as bad an enabler as the rest of us!!! :p

Back