What makes tricolor rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you come to Texas you can get one of mine 😁 even my rabbits that appear solid black have a really pretty dark russet brown color mixed in. I think it's because tamuk rabbits are pretty much just a mutt, er I mean a composite rabbit.

Liz

the broken rabbit needs to carry either non-extension, or harlequin
Really?!! I guess I need to do some more research on this, because I was under the impression that the kits need the harlequin gene from one parent and the broken gene from the other. I guess it's more complicated than that. Would you mind helping me understand this a bit better? And I haven't been able to figure out how the non-extension gene works for tris. Is this why people say a red is helpful in a tri program?

the E locus goes this way
E is dominant, and results in full extension (With the A agouti gene) like Castor, Opal. Amber and Lilac agouti
ej is recessive to this and if paired with E you may still see it bleed through but it will not be fully expressed
ee is the most recessive, and gives red (agouti) or tort (aa self)
so if you have ejej or eje then you get the full expression of the harlequin (also called japanese, hence the j)
that's when using red, rather than castor is guaranteed to get you
Hope that helps
If you google "rabbit coat color genetics" there is LOTS to read to educate yourself on this

That does help; thank you! I have been reading on rabbit genetics for a while now, but people were saying so many different things about tris. It is interesting trying to get it all hashed out! I will keep going with the research, though. :)

Last edited:
They only need broken from one parent.

They need to get harlequin from AT LEAST one parent. If they get harlequin gene from both parents its best. If they get harlequin gene from one parent and non-extension gene (tort, orange, etc) from one parent, that works too. If they get harlequin from one parent and full extension or steel from the other parent, it won't show up as a tricolor.

They only need broken from one parent.

They need to get harlequin from AT LEAST one parent. If they get harlequin gene from both parents its best. If they get harlequin gene from one parent and non-extension gene (tort, orange, etc) from one parent, that works too. If they get harlequin from one parent and full extension or steel from the other parent, it won't show up as a tricolor.
Thank you for clearing that up for me! That is helpful for my breeding decisions and makes a lot of sense. I am thinking that would be why I get some harlequinized broken castors, rather than them being a tricolor. Thanks again.

Where in texas? 😍😍😍😍😍
Below Dallas, smack dab between Ennis and Waxahachie. Right now I only have 6 'pet-sized' kits (super-sweet Tamuk-cross mom is 4-5 lb and dad is about 7) They will be ready to go in a couple weeks. They are gorgeous, but no tri-color, just black/brown mix of fur. Really neat looking though, four are brown on top, fading to gray/black by their belly/legs and two that are black with brown mixed in.. The large Tamuk doe will kindle in a few weeks and I'll see what I've got then :)
-Liz

Below Dallas, smack dab between Ennis and Waxahachie. Right now I only have 6 'pet-sized' kits (super-sweet Tamuk-cross mom is 4-5 lb and dad is about 7) They will be ready to go in a couple weeks. They are gorgeous, but no tri-color, just black/brown mix of fur. Really neat looking though, four are brown on top, fading to gray/black by their belly/legs and two that are black with brown mixed in.. The large Tamuk doe will kindle in a few weeks and I'll see what I've got then :)
-Liz
I'll be getting a baby that will be ready next week, once I sex it and figure out if I need a for or buck I'll let you know. I honestly dont might if its tri colored I just like cool looking patterns. And I figure those will sell easier anyways.

Back