What makes this color of Amchin?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverFeather

Reaction score
Hey guys. I breed American Chinchillas and I have had an interesting color showing up in my lines, and I am trying to figure out what genes might be responsible for it. The rabbits are a cinnamon-sugar color. When they are born they are the color of sand, and transition into this color once their adult coat comes in.

2020_08_02_16_18_IMG_5871.JPG
(center kit grew up to be cinnamon-sugar colored, REWs at bottom, others were standard Amchin coloration)

2020_10_13_14_50_IMG_6152.JPG
(same kit, now around 2 months old)

2021_02_12_18_02_IMG_6609.JPG
(same kit / doe, around 8 months old with adult fur grown in))
At the point above, when I look at her in person, I can't see any pigment on her that looks black or gray, all of her fur is a shade of brown or white.

Interestingly, one of my cinnamon-sugar Amchins started shedding to a adult summer coat this week, and now looks like this.

2021_06_15_17_26_IMG_6980.JPG
(same doe, around 11 months shedding for the summer. The dark color coming in is a slightly brown tinted version of the shade my other amchins are)

Of the five kits (from three litters) that I have seen be this color so far, all of them have been female. I don't know of any color sex-linked genes in rabbits, so I'm guessing that is just coincidence?

Do you guys have any ideas for what genes might lead to this fur coloration? Is there a name for this coloration?

Last edited:
I think that is it! Thank you Caroline! This rabbit just had a litter that came out with a few self (?) kits, a few that were all brown / chocolate color and a couple that were all black. She previously had a few REW kits. I think my current guess for Sand's phenotype is AabbchdcD_E_ ? Is that how you would write it?

Latest posts

Back