What kind of Rustoleum?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HendricksHearth

Reaction score
I have a new 30" X 30" stacker cage from TSC that I am trying to protect as I read that they tend to rust quickly. I just purchased Rustoleum at the suggestion of a few folks to extend cage life, but realized while reading the fine print on the bottle that it says it is not for use on galvanized metal. Is there a special kind of Rustoleum to use and is it safe for rabbits still? Any other suggestions to make it last? I already keep it in a covered area protected from the elements and I try very hard to keep a clean set-up at all times.

Thanks!

Lauren

Nothing works well on galvanized metal. For the pony rides, we use Krylon- as it doesn't make the ponies sick if they ingest some of it (little boogers chew on the sweep)- but the sweep is made of non galvanized steel. If you wanted to invest a lot of money, you could get them powder coated-- powder coating is an enamal type finish that must be baked onto the wire.(Hint, if there are any run marks, a liquid was used, and it will not last)

You could just keep the cages real clean, and every couple years or so get them re-galvanized. The galvanizinf process is just a way of adding a coat of metal that can be 'wasted' for whatever reason. That is why 'galvanized before welding' is more expensive wire- the manufacturer is actually selling a better end product, as the core metal is intact after the welding process.
Gee, I learned something from my ugly brother.

Frosted Rabbits":2s7c9spt said:
That is why 'galvanized before welding' is more expensive wire- the manufacturer is actually selling a better end product, as the core metal is intact after the welding process.

I thought the 'galvanized after welding' was the more expensive and better one, because all of the galvanization stays intact...?

Shannon

Welding 'eats' metal, A good welder wants to have a little leeway on the core metal- so having a waste layerto help act as a heat sink makes for a better welded joint. The cheap galvanizing burns off as the weld is made. If a person were soldering, the galvanizing acts sort of like a solder flux. Im not sure how to explain it- just that a GOOD weld needs as much of the core metal intact as possible. There is some wire I have seen that is galvanized before AND after welding= the core metal gets protected during the weld, and then the weld joint itself gets protected. Anytime you apply extremes of heat and cold to metal, you get fractures and sometimes even crystalizations that alter the integrity of he metal. My Ex Husband used to take xrays of welds and other metals to look for those liitle imperfections that can spell disaster

Speaking of ex husband- did Discovery go up today?

I am so confused now- it was several experienced rabbit breeders at shows that told me to use Rustoleum on the cages to prolong their life. I figured I purchased the wrong kind, not that there is no kind that would work. I don't have any way to get them powder coated or re-galvanized. :( Is there nothing at all I can apply to the wire myself to make it last longer that does not require special equipment, a large financial investment, transporting my cages somewhere for treatment, etc.?

Thanks!

Lauren

You can buy cold Galv in the specialty spray paint section, use a mask, it's rather NASTY, and make sure its completely dry and aired out before letting a rabbit near it.

OTOH, you might be able to EP zinc to re-galve a cage, all you would need would be a large tank of electrolyte, sacrificial zinc (it's what got to the wire) and lots of know how. Actually all that could be done on a farm, with what is on hand for less than $100, BUT it takes knowledge.

Thanks so much Jack- is this what you are talking about?: http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=135

I also read online that if I use a primer on the metal directly that I can spray the cage with several light layers and then just spritz it over once every 1-2 years to make sure it stays protected. Does that sound feasible?

I don't have the knowledge, a big tank, a truck, etc. and have to live relatively close to the city for school right now so I don't think re-galvanizing would necessarily be safe or practical for my situation currently. Maybe in a few years when I am free again. :)

Thanks!

Lauren

Latest posts

Back