What is the best option? To be spayed, or to be neutered!?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emilyrose

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :D

I need some advice. I have two rabbits, who I plan on bonding, one doe named Lola and one buck named Bailey. They are living in seperate cages at the moment (obviously lol) but very close to each other so they can get used to each others scent. I've even caught them having a few kisses through the bars. ;)

Anyway! My question: who should I have altered? Should I have Lola spayed, Bailey neutered or both? If both, should they be done at the same time or at seperate times?

Some things about the bunnies...
Lola has always been a grumpy bun. Doesn't like being touched on her sides or belly, she loves her head scratched and rubbed and some times tolerates having cheek rubs, but only when she's in the mood for it! When I first got her over a year ago, I bought her with her sister. Once they hit puberty, Lola hated her sister! The bullying became so bad that her sister had become skinny and was frightened of everything. I would try to pat her and she was make a squeak and run away. So, I made the decision for lovely Joanna to go to a new home. I kept Lola instead of Joanna because I didn't think it was fair to pass off an angry bunny to someone else!
Lola used to live outide and I thought maybe bringing her inside to live in my room would help her behaviour because she'd be able to get more attention and see me more often. This helped a great deal, it took months but I could eventually pick her up without her biting me.
We have since moved house and her aggression came back, a few more months later and she was okay again. After moving house, I got a new job and felt bad because she wasn't getting as much attention as she used to. I read that bonding two unaltered female rabbits is very difficult and I assume that has something to do with why her and Joanna didn't get along. A few weeks after getting my new job, a girl I went to school with posted on facebook that her baby rabbit needed a new home - she didn't realise how much time it takes to look after him. SO! That is how Bailey came to live with me.

Bailey is only 13 weeks old but he is already the same size as Lola. He is very sweet, there isn't any part of his body that he doesn't want touched! He especially loves cheek rubs. The second day I had him, I put him on my bed to explore but guess what he did instead? He flopped next to my feet (I was laying on the bed) and rested his head on my ankle! It made my heart melt!

Will having them desexed change their personalities? I wouldn't mind if Lola was a bit nicer and less territorial but I don't want Bailey to change at all, perfect little bun.

Any other advice about bonding or anything would be greatly appreciated!

Spaying Lola 'might' make her nicer but she could just be a bratty female.

If they were mine I would neuter the male since it is significantly cheaper than spaying (like $100 less) :lol: but if the cost was the same I would spay the female and hope her attitude improves.

Must be a female thing. ;) That is also a good point... My vet quoted just over $200 for Bailey but for Lola, it would cost $350. :shock:

It would be great to have a less moody Lola though! So maybe it would be worth the money!

Spaying the female reduces cancer risk and sometimes improves their personality but is more expensive and riskier.

Neutering a buck is cheaper and may stop spraying and humping behaviors that annoy both you and the doe. Most bucks though do learn to leave alone does who do not want bred. A few are overly insistent and will drive the doe nuts if caged together even if she's spayed or already bred.

Altering both is the best choice but expensive.

I would still do some shopping around for spay and neuter. Especially if you have the HRS near you, I use their vet because they are well practiced. The do a low cost spay and neuter twice a month for rabbits with $90 for bucks and $120 for does.

Does usually don't change much and sometimes your doe will remain just as aggressive even after being spayed. It's a 50-50 chance I think

My neutered buck was changed very much by altering him. He became doe like for obvious reasons after being super personable. I only altered him because when I started getting my show rabbits, he could smell them on me and would spray, He was still a great bun, but he lost some of his fun aspects like licking my face for breakfast, literally jumping onto me, and running after me wherever I went. He wasn't exact the same. I havent neutered a buck since, but the bonding thing isn't necessary

Jack had a few scars on his ears from his bonded girlfriend because they would decide to hate each other on and off.

I have a spayed female and i wanted to put my un-spayed very sweet cashmere lop with her but it didn't work out because even though she was spayed he just kept trying to hump her non-stop. I thought he was going to give himself a heart attack or overheat and die. I also was worried because he kept getting turned around the wrong way and kept humping her face so I was afraid she was going to get mad and bite his parts off. So I separated them and plan on getting him neutered too- I hope he doesn't change because he is very sweet too.

I would neuter the buck, but then again, I do the neutering myself, so there's no cost involved for me.

Back