what is the best mineral block to us? goat horse or cow

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Horse but goat is usually acceptable. You can get loose minerals too and just put them in a dish instead of breaking the blocks apart to give a chunk to each rabbit. Avoid using cow products in other animals. Cows have a very complicated and durable digestive tract so they often can tolerate things other herbivores cannot. It's best not to risk it.

akane":3on04qa9 said:
Horse but goat is usually acceptable. You can get loose minerals too and just put them in a dish instead of breaking the blocks apart to give a chunk to each rabbit. Avoid using cow products in other animals. Cows have a very complicated and durable digestive tract so they often can tolerate things other herbivores cannot. It's best not to risk it.

I would be somewhat leery of offering goat salt blocks on a regular basis. Most goat blocks have higher concentrations of Copper salts that the goats need. Copper toxcity is possible in rabbits -- http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/ ... Rabbit.htm -- though it is a single finding, why risk it?

what brand does anyone use for these, does this look acceptable?
American Stockman Se-90 Trace Mineralized Salt with Selenium Block, 50 lb.
or
American Stockman Big 6® Trace Mineral Salt Block, 50 lb.

I believe [but am not sure] that S. Dakota is in a selenium deficient area, -- so-- if true, the one with selenium in is best. I prefer the mineral/ salt blocks made for sheep and goats, but-- have no real reason to back up my choice. But-- selenium deficiency can cause a host of breeding [fertility] and birth related problems, - [Mastitus, metritis,retained placenta, aglaxia, etc]-- I make sure my rabbits have some mineral block pieces available at all times, -- and-- I have almost no problems with breeding or birth related issues.

I use Red Cell liquid 1/8 TSP rabbit per day is all it takes. I just drizzle it on the pellets, the rabbits like it. It's the top recommended for horses here and, I've seen it's effects, skinny horse goes to proper weight horse quickly with no diet change except adding Red Cell. This is a low selenium area too.

Latest posts

Back